Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AirLock Issues

Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #31
Shedbrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Get a stopper that fits the mouth of the jug & the stem of the airlock. That'll make things easier.
Do you know of a store or anything like wal mart I can get one at? I mean like one I could put the hole in myself for the airlock. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #32
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd recommend that you get yourself a copy of the complete joy of homebrewing by charlie papazian...

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Joy-H.../dp/0060531053

Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #33
Roondy888
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Pretty sure everyone in this thread is either contributing to the delinquency of a minor or the victim of a troll. Plus shouldnt this be in the wine making forum considering its being made with grape juice?
DennisinIowa Likes This 
Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 AM   #34
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedbrewery View Post
Do you know of a store or anything like wal mart I can get one at? I mean like one I could put the hole in myself for the airlock. Thanks.
Where do you live? Someone can probably point you toward your closest LHBS (local homebrew store). If you're interested in making drinkable homebrew, you should go to that store and they can show you everything you'll need. Ask about (or search online for) local brew clubs and ask to help with someone's next brewday. They can show you the ropes in person and hands-on. This site is also an incredible resource e for learning. I recommend reading the sticky threads at the top of each subforum, particularly the ones directly related to wine making. Have fun!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #35
CraigKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Well since this thread seems to have taken a downward turn, I'm going to hi-jack it with another air-lock question for actual beer.

I'm using a 5gal Ale Pale, brewed a traditional IPA on Sunday, using a standard air-lock filled half way. By Tuesday-Wednesday, I noticed that all of the water from both halves of the lock were on one side. I couldn't see any actual activity, but there definitely seemed to be pressure pushing against the water. When I gently squeezed my Ale Pale, I almost pushed water out of the top of the airlock. But again, there's no actual visible activity like bubbling. Should I be concerned?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #36
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Nope perfectly normal
CraigKing Likes This 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #37
CraigKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks Scott. Normally the airlock is either equally balanced on both sides, or I can actually see/hear bubbles going through it. I have never seen sustained, constant pressure for a 24 hour time span.

And after checking today, it appears that the pressure is equalizing today. I guess primary fermentation is nearing completion.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #38
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Bubbles or lack thereof is only part of the picture, not really telling you anything definite. You probably have nothing to worry about.