Want to create my own recipes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
Where is a good place to go to starting making my own recipes? I know my homebrew store offers classes but, I work 2 jobs and it's hard to manage my time off.

Check out the recipe section in the red strip at the top of the forum. They'll give you an idea of what basically goes into a particular style of beer you like. Then go from there.

Check out the recipe section in the red strip at the top of the forum. They'll give you an idea of what basically goes into a particular style of beer you like. Then go from there.

Good idea. Start with making small changes so you don't get an undrinkable beer, then as you get more experience, get a bit bolder.

I suggest Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles as a good starting point in developing your own recipes.

Palmer's How to Brew is a great resource for beginning/expanding your brewing knowledge and also includes some good pointers on recipes. You could purchase a copy or check it out online for free.

This is from section 4, chapter 20 of his book:

"To help get your creative juices flowing, here is a rough approximation of the recipes for the common ale styles:
Pale Ale - base malt plus a half pound of caramel malt,
Amber Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of dark caramel malt,
Brown Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt
Porter - amber ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt,
Stout - porter plus a half pound of roast barley."

Then download Beersmith2.1,I have BS2 & i'm learning more each time I use it. I love how it has BJCP standard recipes listed that works with the graph so you can get your beers within the proper ranges. Great function. Def worth the 28 bucks I paid for the key. You get a 30 day trial period too,so "you try before you buy". Lolz,I remember an African fella sayin that to my bro on a tour of duty once. finally got to use it! :mug:

I definitely recommend designing your own recipes, just be prepared for a few to not turn out great, but when they are good -- they are REALLY good!!!

I saved that link GS. That first couple lines of his is just too good! Secret agent man revisited. Jonny Rivers got nuthin on him...

I created a few myself. Turned out great. From what a few co,workers told me. Me brother & I still have some issues with it. I was actuakly shocked when my co-workers told me they loved it. But. Brewed it twice. Tweaked a few things. Both times. Turned out great.

Back