Dry hop in bottle - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry hop in bottle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
BetterSense
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas
Posts: 1,025
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts



I have a gallon of beer (my batch runneth over) that was supposed to be dry-hopped. However, i don't feel like waiting another week to dry hop it. I was thinking about trying to just drop 1 hop pellet in each bottle when I bottle it. Has anyone ever done that?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,145
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts


It'll be a mess

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,073
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts


I've never done it, if you bottle condition you are going to have yeast settle out anyway and eventually the hop particles would settle out too - 3-6 weeks I would think should see them down on the bottom.
I see no problem with doing this if you are careful with your pours( leave the last ounce or two in the bottle with the yeast sediment.

I would probably use more than one pellet though, I usually dry hop with no less than two ounces per 5 gallon batch.
__________________
My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,122
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts


My only concern would be that the beer would take on a vegetal taste after 3-5 weeks of bottle conditioning with the pellets. As far as the pellets go, they will indeed drop out after the bottles have been cold conditioned.

I've actually wanted to experiment with this before, as well. Let us know if you do it, and report your tasting notes.
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
fizgig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 468
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts


I've gotten some hops in bottles near the end of bottling and had some gushers, the hops make nucleation sites for the co2. I always mark the caps of bottles I think might be suspect, e.g. First. might get too much air, last air + random junk, or partial fill.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,073
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
My only concern would be that the beer would take on a vegetal taste after 3-5 weeks of bottle conditioning with the pellets. As far as the pellets go, they will indeed drop out after the bottles have been cold conditioned.

I've actually wanted to experiment with this before, as well. Let us know if you do it, and report your tasting notes.


I have never had a vegetable/grassy taste from dry hopping long term, I keep kegs on the gas in my fridge for months, with bags of hops in them - both pellets and whole flowers.
__________________
My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,122
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
I've gotten some hops in bottles near the end of bottling and had some gushers, the hops make nucleation sites for the co2. I always mark the caps of bottles I think might be suspect, e.g. First. Might get too much air, last air + random junk, or partial fill.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I have never had a vegetable/grassy taste from dry hopping long term, I keep kegs on the gas in my fridge for months, with bags of hops in them - both pellets and whole flowers.
Good to know, but I wonder how that might differ in a bottle that's conditioning at 65f-75f for weeks...
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...


 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bubbles rising inside the bottle of a bottle-conditioned beer GregoryShmegory Bottling/Kegging 3 05-15-2013 01:11 PM
1st attempt at bottle harvesting - single bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar TimpanogosSlim Fermentation & Yeast 49 07-01-2012 10:01 PM
Mash Tun, Bottle Tree, Bottle Cleaner, 6 Gallon better bottles JClinedinst For Sale 4 06-19-2012 12:53 AM
Bottle Bomb Fear-Head in sealed bottle of beer KilhavenBrew Bottling/Kegging 19 05-08-2011 10:14 PM
For sale, wort chiller, grain mill, bottle tree/sanitizer and bottle capper. KCMO Whammo For Sale 8 08-09-2010 03:59 AM


Forum Jump