If BMC made pizza - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > If BMC made pizza

Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

The crust

Keep it simple: flour, water and yeast. Don't add anything that might add flavor or texture. Ideally, the crust should taste and feel like a unsalted, non-fat cracker. Extra points if it shatters when consumed.

The sauce

The key here is thin. Apply it with an airbrush. Don't add anything that might clog the brush, like spices or actual tomatoes. You should be able to see the crust through the sauce layer at all points. Any more than that and it won't dry out properly in the oven.

The cheese

Place each shred so it is not touching any other shred. Too much and the sauce won't dry out properly.

The toppings

It's much easier and more profitable to keep these to a minimum. If you need two hands to count the pepperoni bits on each slice, you've over-done it. If you sell by the slice, just make cheese pizzas. You can add the topping and re-bake the slice. This ensures the sauce is dried out.

[The local pizza place changed hands. I'd say four of the five frozen pizzas at the supermarket are better.]

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Not to get into EACishness of food, but the best french bread is only made from water, flour, and yeast (and a pinch of salt).

I would have to agree with everything else though!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

So what would you have to drink with a pizza like that?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
Not to get into EACishness of food, but the best french bread is only made from water, flour, and yeast (and a pinch of salt).

I would have to agree with everything else though!
The key there is probably the flour and the yeast though, BMC would use cheap yeast and extra refined white flour.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

So BMC would make Pizza Hut?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just had a Red Baron last night, and that pretty much describes it to a "T". Like eating a thimblefull of tomato sauce on a saltine.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Sep 2006
San Diego, CA
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I don't remember the last time I had a good slice of pizza. Stupid North Carolina...
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 10-09-2007, 04:16 AM   #8
Chad

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Apex, NC
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink
I don't remember the last time I had a good slice of pizza. Stupid North Carolina...
Feh! Come to my house. There is a local place (J&S Pizza) that does good NY style pizza, but if you're looking for (something close to) the real thing, swing by when I'm baking.

I haven't yet disabled the lock on my oven so I can bake pizzas on the Self Cleaning cycle (that's next) and hit a clean Neapolitan style pie in less than 2 minutes, but mine are still pretty darn good. And, yes, they are made with only water, flour, yeast and salt -- just like Napoli. I generally use a retarded fermentation and start the dough the night before. If I'm using heavy bread flour I might add a touch of olive oil and honey just to make the dough a bit more extensible and easier to roll out. Other than that, mine are pretty classic. If we do a Triangle beer swap/tasting night, I'll happily bring pizzas as a palate cleansers.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

If you're ever in champaign, IL stop by Papa Dell's. Best pizza I've ever had. (Chicago deep dish style)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/papadels.php

Not the place's website as they don't have one, but the pic is of their pizza, and there's an attempt at a recipe there.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #10
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I picture a BMC pizza as a square of toilet paper with a ghostly picture of a pizza printed on. Not filling, not satisfying, but definitely a pale facsimile of the real thing.