Beersmith questions - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beersmith questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
arborman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 440
Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts



OK, I dont understand this:

I do my starter numbers in yeastcalc, based on the OG of the beer I am brewing. When I enter this starter into Beersmith, it LOWERS my ABV. Why is this???? Dates are the same, starter size is the same, stir plate is checked, etc.... Do I now need to adjust my OG to meet the ABV number I am shooting for? This is not making sense at all to me. If I do not input my starter, it keeps my recipe where I want it, but as soon as I enter the starter in, it changes things to where I do not want them. Not sure what to change here... Any input would be appreciated.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,525
Liked 7376 Times on 5215 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
OK, I dont understand this:

I do my starter numbers in yeastcalc, based on the OG of the beer I am brewing. When I enter this starter into Beersmith, it LOWERS my ABV. Why is this???? Dates are the same, starter size is the same, stir plate is checked, etc.... Do I now need to adjust my OG to meet the ABV number I am shooting for? This is not making sense at all to me. If I do not input my starter, it keeps my recipe where I want it, but as soon as I enter the starter in, it changes things to where I do not want them. Not sure what to change here... Any input would be appreciated.
I'm not sure what you mean by "entering the starter"- are you adding it to the list of ingredients? Is it maybe "diluting" the beer with the volume of the starter? Otherwise, I have no idea.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
arborman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 440
Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "entering the starter"- are you adding it to the list of ingredients? Is it maybe "diluting" the beer with the volume of the starter? Otherwise, I have no idea.

Sorry, I knew this was a confusing question.. When I mean entering the starter, I mean that I am punching in the starter numbers into the starter tab in Beersmith under my recipe.. Right next to the design tab, there is a starter tab. When I put in the starter that Yeastcalc says to use, it drops my ABV.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,525
Liked 7376 Times on 5215 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
Sorry, I knew this was a confusing question.. When I mean entering the starter, I mean that I am punching in the starter numbers into the starter tab in Beersmith under my recipe.. Right next to the design tab, there is a starter tab. When I put in the starter that Yeastcalc says to use, it drops my ABV.
Hmm. I've never used that feature in Beersmith, so I have no idea. I just make my starter, without doing anything in Beersmith (like I do my water- I don't like the water feature in Beersmith at all).

So I tried it just now, as I have a 2L starter going on my next beer. Nothing changed for me. I wonder if it changes if you click "add starter to bottling volume"?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #5

your supposed to enter the yeast type there not starter numbers
__________________
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
arborman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 440
Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
your supposed to enter the yeast type there not starter numbers

Hmm, not sure I understand this... In my software window, it has a pull down for the type of yeast, but to the left, it allows you to input starter size, check a box if your using a stir plate, etc...

I just entered in ONLY the yeast, with the date, and without entering in using a starter, and it drops my ABV even lower. What am I missing? I am using the mac version, maybe thats the catch?

I guess I will just run this without using this info plugged in. Somethings not jiving here

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
arborman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 440
Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Hmm. I've never used that feature in Beersmith, so I have no idea. I just make my starter, without doing anything in Beersmith (like I do my water- I don't like the water feature in Beersmith at all).

So I tried it just now, as I have a 2L starter going on my next beer. Nothing changed for me. I wonder if it changes if you click "add starter to bottling volume"?
Thanks for the reply. I did not click adding "add starter", which I do not want to do, but I will check that and see if it makes any change. I think I am going to just ditch using this in Beersmith, seems like its broken

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #8

when you wrote the recipe did you add the yeast to it in the design section or just the starter section. im assuming that the yeast wasn't in the recipe and adding it to the starter changed abv because it took into consideration the attenuation of the yeast thus adding it to your recipe
__________________
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
arborman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 440
Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn
when you wrote the recipe did you add the yeast to it in the design section or just the starter section. im assuming that the yeast wasn't in the recipe and adding it to the starter changed abv because it took into consideration the attenuation of the yeast thus adding it to your recipe
That might be it! I did not add the yeast in the recipe window. I'll do that now and see if it changes anything. Should I even bother with the starter page?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,543
Liked 157 Times on 111 Posts


When u added the yeast, did u put in the packaging date? ie is the viability high or low on it?


__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beersmith questions je52rm Brewing Software 4 04-12-2013 03:34 AM
Questions on Beersmith generalzod4791 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 06-01-2012 01:21 AM
BeerSmith Questions hellerbrewing Brewing Software 5 10-16-2010 01:39 PM
Beersmith questions dunleav1 Brewing Software 2 01-17-2009 03:35 AM
Beersmith Questions Parker36 Brewing Software 1 11-27-2007 07:05 PM


Forum Jump