Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Moonshrimp Brewing-A gluten free microbrewery

Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
InfiniteThought
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Moonshrimp Brewing-A gluten free microbrewery

The title says it really, SW Portland will soon (hopefully) have a dedicated gluten free micro-brewery. Work is still in the very early stages and licensing is just about to be submitted but the space is secured and recipes have been developed.

The plan is to start with just a tiny 2bbl gas fired system with four fermenters and run from there. Everything is still in the works...so incredibly much to do.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts

Cool. Good to see this. What kind of beers are you going to start off with? I would be interested in more detail. Don't put out a bad product and give us gluten free guys a bad rap.

Seriously, good luck and have fun with it.

My House IPA

Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Osedax
Recipes 

Quick google search answered some of my question. http://www.moonshrimpbrewing.com/

Cool stuff. Vegan huh? Like adding more challenge? haha. I get it. I'm vegetarian and gluten intolerant. A lot of what I eat just happens to be vegan.

Got pics of the setup? This has definitely piqued my interest. I recommend to start distribution in PA.
My House IPA

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I second Osedax about PA.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Wow, another gluten-free brewery in Portland? Gonna give Harvester a run for their money, eh? Looking for any help/interns/grunts/short-term employees? If so, please PM me. I'm looking for work in September and more than willing to move to Portland. I'll be travelling through there in late June, would love to at least have a chat and swap some beers....

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, thats the website. Vegan isn't really that much more of a challenge but I am taking it to the extreme. No honey and no cane sugar (turns out its filtered through bone char), no isinglass obviously.

The beer is very beer like, a strong millet base with home made candi sugar (beet origin). The goal is to have beer that tastes just like beer made locally with good sustainability practices. Having harvester in town is good, a few more people have heard of gluten free beer and the market is a little more accepting now then it was even a few years ago but I still get the question "...so that means no hops right?" a lot more then I would like.

Pictures of setup will be posted shortly as long as you guys don't mind seeing empty rooms with paint chips on the floor.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Osedax
Recipes 

"Work-in-progess" pics are fine. I like seeing this stuff come together. You guys have to talk to people on the west coast and tell them to bring better breweries to the east coast.

I work with a millet base as well. Definitely has a "beer like" quality. It seems to add a chewiness and substance you can't get from other GF grains. Your website says that you use millet from colorado. CMC? Their red millet DP sucks but, their white is much better.

Wish I could try one of these beers. Guess I need to plan a trip to portland. Haha
My House IPA

Old 05-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
refluxologist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

if you use organic cane sugar your good; anything else and all bets are off.

Looking forward to seeing more of the brewery!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Organic cane sugar is waaaay to expensive, have you seen the price on that stuff? Its expensive if you just want a little bit for baking, forget brewing quantities. I use beet sugar (amalgamated sugar co, Idaho, originally from portland) that is strictly vegan. Same product as far as beer is concerned, tastes the same, caramelizes much faster which is fine with me.

I am trying to find my camera cord to up load some pictures of this evenings work sanding down plaster on the walls and the general layout of the place. Electric sander + old plaster = whiteout! I had to shop vac myself before getting into the car, then contemplated stripping on my porch before going inside the house. Stood there for a while smacking myself instead and got a few odd looks from the neighbors picnic.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #10
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think I figured the pictures out...guess I will find out in a minute. Anyway, here are the first few pictures. My future brewery! Edit: Well, the pictures came out sideways, I thought I had fixed that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3082.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	120294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	120295  

Reason: The pictures are sideways.