Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Re-using Kolsch yeast in hefe

Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 493

Thanks for this thread. I have 3 jars of washed 2565 in the fridge and I wasn't sure what to do with it, as I have 2 batches of kolsch to drink already. It might be time for my first wheat beer sometime soon.

Fermenting - Back To School Porter; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western (a dark sour); Chris' Tall Ale (Golden ale w/ sour dregs); 4 small batch blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches Bottled - Where Y'all At?; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans Kegged - BBD Belgian Malty Ale

Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 700 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 495

2565 makes a fantastic IPA, too. You can thank me later for that suggestion.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
JohnK93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the info. I'm washing the kolsch yeast now...we'll see if I get around to using it. An american wheat might be in my future.

IPA?? I would never have thought that. What did that taste like?
Primary: English Ordinary Bitter IV
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Kegged: Empty!
Up Next: Hefeweizen

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK93 View Post
IPA?? I would never have thought that. What did that taste like?
A pint o' heaven? Yeah, pretty much!

More seriously, it works at a variety of temps, it attenuates reliably, it doesn't mute hop bitterness or flavor one bit, and it adds just a little something extra to make the malt profile more interesting (but never takes center stage). It also carbs up in the bottle very quickly, which means quick turnaround after bottling, which means bigger hop flavors.

I used to just pitch a packet of US-05 when I wanted an IPA, but the 2565 is so good I usually try go through with the extra effort of the liquid yeast. I know everyone loves the Chico strain for American IPAs, but the 2565 Kölsch yeast has it beat in every regard. It's my (now not so) secret weapon. The only drawback is the huge amount of sediment I get in each bottle, but really, that's the only issue. I suppose a crash cooling could fix that, but I don't have the capability.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
JohnK93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, I'm sure it won't be long before I brew another IPA (fermenting my first BIAB black IPA now), so maybe I'll give your secret weapon a try soon.

John

Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Let me know if you do. I hope it works out well for you. I've don't about 5-6 of them now, and have yet to be disappointed.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've used it for a wheat IPA and it was really good. I would agree with GuldTuborg it does great with hops and I prefer it over any of the american strains. I've only used white labs strain but it sounds like I need to try the two from Wyeast!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK93 View Post
Hello all,
I recently washed and re-pitched some American Ale II yeast from a quasi-pale ale to a black IPA and damn, did that thing take off! With only 3 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket the airlock was bubbling within as few hours.
aside: if fermentation took off that fast, sounds like you might have over-pitched. it's not a problem in the same way that under-pitching is, but you won't get as many yeast flavors. you want some amount of lag time, as the yeast are growing during that phase and creating flavors. if you pitch a lot of yeast, they won't need to multiply and create those flavors. this isn't a big deal for IPAs since you generally don't want yeast flavors anyways, but could be a concern if you make a belgian, an english, etc. or other styles that depend on yeast contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
The only drawback is the huge amount of sediment I get in each bottle, but really, that's the only issue. I suppose a crash cooling could fix that, but I don't have the capability.
cold crashing isn't hard: get a big plastic tub or bucket, put your carboy or bucket inside it, cover in ice, add a little water, and replace the ice a few times over 2 or 3 days. having an ice-maker in the freezer is really useful. kolsch yeast is indeed a very low flocculator and takes forever to drop out.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
cold crashing isn't hard: get a big plastic tub or bucket, put your carboy or bucket inside it, cover in ice, add a little water, and replace the ice a few times over 2 or 3 days. having an ice-maker in the freezer is really useful. kolsch yeast is indeed a very low flocculator and takes forever to drop out.
Thanks for the tip. I might try that, but it sounds like enough work that I may just deal with the extra sediment in the bottles. It's not that bad, really. Usually a few days in the fridge will compact everything in the bottle pretty well.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
JohnK93
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I made a 1L starter for this batch based on some estimates. MrMalty says I need about 117 million yeasties, but I had wasn't 100% sure how to set the Yeast Concentration slider and I don't really have a way to measure the yeast in mL. So, I figured since I used a 1.5L starter for my last batch, which was a full 5 gallons, and I knew that re-pitched yeast takes off quicker than a fresh vial, I'd be good with 1L for this 3 gallon batch.

But I'm glad you pointed it out because I've settled on re-pitching my kolsch yeast into an american wheat recipe I've found and I want to dial this one to the right pitch rate.

John