Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The latest chapter in my life
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,203
Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Hearing from close friends and family means a lot. Hearing from all you folks on HBT means even more. Just knowing that there are still people in the world who are compassionate and care about total strangers give me hope for humanity.

Surgery is on May 3rd, I have 4 days to drink up my stash of Heady Topper and my own Double Simcoe IPA. Check it out:

Simcoe IPA Copy
14-B American IPA
Author: Marc L.
Date: 3/1/13

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 68.8%
Attenuation: 77.3%
Calories: 219.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.74 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.71% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 90.5 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 40L
2 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 F
Source Water: 60.0 F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 169.78 F; Target: 152 F
01:05:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.1 F
01:05:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.47 gal sparge @ 195.0 F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.62 gal

Notes
bottle on 3/22 w/ 131g corn sugar

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3


__________________
"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."
KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
SharonaZamboni
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SharonaZamboni's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palmer, MA
Posts: 6,105
Liked 1519 Times on 1387 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a full recovery! Get drinking those brews!


__________________
You may well be the smartest person here.-Zuljin

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie
SharonaZamboni is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
stevo4361
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Basin, WY
Posts: 342
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Best of luck! I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think your humorous attitude and approach to this will help a great deal! Cheers to a speedy recovery!
stevo4361 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,726
Liked 5742 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Hearing from close friends and family means a lot. Hearing from all you folks on HBT means even more. Just knowing that there are still people in the world who are compassionate and care about total strangers give me hope for humanity.

Surgery is on May 3rd, I have 4 days to drink up my stash of Heady Topper and my own Double Simcoe IPA. Check it out:

Simcoe IPA Copy
14-B American IPA
Author: Marc L.
Date: 3/1/13

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 68.8%
Attenuation: 77.3%
Calories: 219.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.74 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.71% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 90.5 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 40L
2 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 F
Source Water: 60.0 F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 169.78 F; Target: 152 F
01:05:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.1 F
01:05:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.47 gal sparge @ 195.0 F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.62 gal

Notes
bottle on 3/22 w/ 131g corn sugar

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3
Oh, that sounds SOOOOOOO good. It's probably a good thing that I'm not closer to your area, as I would definitely stop by to drink your be.....um, I mean stop by to visit you and bring you a card or something.

This is going to sound weird, but I really count my "imaginary friends" as friends, and I hope that you really do count us as people who do care about you and can be supportive of you in our not-real-friends-in-real-life-friends kind of way.

We can keep you in our thoughts, and our prayers (for the praying types) and generally be caring even though we're far away. Sort of like family who care, but don't see you very often.

Let us know if there is anything you want from us, including moral support. We're pretty good at that.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,203
Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Thanks. Everyone has been commenting on my positive attitude. But think about it...how am supposed to act? The tumor is there, and it has to come out, bottom line. Once it does, we'll see what happens next. For now, I'm feelin' pretty goddamn good!

Anyways, I agree with you, Lorena. The friends I have here on HBT are real, such as yourself, Creamy Goodness, CheezyDemon, Pappers, et. al.
__________________
"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."
KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 26,192
Liked 3139 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 1916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Thanks. Everyone has been commenting on my positive attitude. But think about it...how am supposed to act? The tumor is there, and it has to come out, bottom line. Once it does, we'll see what happens next. For now, I'm feelin' pretty goddamn good!

Anyways, I agree with you, Lorena. The friends I have here on HBT are real, such as yourself, Creamy Goodness, CheezyDemon, Pappers, et. al.
Even Creamy??

You better get that brain surgery ASAP!

Just picking on Creamy. Praying you will be up and at 'em in no time!
Homercidal is offline
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,203
Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Even Creamy??

You better get that brain surgery ASAP!

Just picking on Creamy. Praying you will be up and at 'em in no time!
You're on that list, too, Homer. I couldn't name everyone here...that would take forever hence the "et. al."
__________________
"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."
KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 7,121
Liked 1945 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 3438

Default

Seriously buddy, best of luck. I'm sure everything will go well, but I'll be rooting for you anyway.
__________________
Billy Blanks bathwater energy drinks,
I'd spend money on that. All the real emcees lipsynch.
I talk about stuff that never happened to me;
the public demands it so I'm tellin' it accurately.
God sent a mean hail storm my way,
I counteracted with a dirty sack of diapers on his highway.
When I die, I don't need a fancy pine box;
throw my body in the Buick, tune the radio to classic rock. ~Grand Buffet



YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

CreamyGoodness is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,255
Liked 4423 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 3775

Default

Good luck tomorrow.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
JR_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 263
Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default

Good luck today Marc, you'll be back brewing in no time.

In the meantime, kick back and put the Big Lebowski on the tube while you recuperate. Your doctor is a good man, and thorough.


__________________
JRBrewer on Untappd

Planned - GP/Mosaic SMaSH
Fermenting - Ned's Red (Flanders Red Ale), Saison Graf, Tangerine Mead
Bottled - Belgian Tripel, Belgo Graf, Saison (split batch with brett), Black 13 (Graf Porter), Old Style Amer. Cream Ale, Amber Graf, Wheat Graf, Bannockburn Wee Heavy, Berry Mead
JR_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How NOT to Brew - Chapter 3: The Chill passedpawn General Beer Discussion 56 12-24-2012 03:57 AM
Chrysler CHAPTER 11... yay! The Pol Debate Forum 92 05-06-2009 07:43 PM
Krausen writes another chapter oguss0311 General Beer Discussion 4 05-11-2008 02:27 AM
how to brew chapter 1-2 FEARDIZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 11-02-2007 04:56 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS