Perlick warning?? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Perlick warning??

Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Supergus
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Canton, Illinois
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just received my new Perlick 525PC faucets from the good folks at Kegworks, and on the boxes is a sticker that states: " Warning: Consuming food or beverages that have been served from this dispenser will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of Cal. to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm"
WTF? Should I be worried? I would think that a faucet that is MADE to dispense beverages, would NOT contain lead?!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Goodells, MICHIGAN
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergus
I just received my new Perlick 525PC faucets from the good folks at Kegworks, and on the boxes is a sticker that states: " Warning: Consuming food or beverages that have been served from this dispenser will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of Cal. to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm"
WTF? Should I be worried? I would think that a faucet that is MADE to dispense beverages, would NOT contain lead?!
Only if you live in Calafornia.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Goodells, MICHIGAN
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts

Nah, it's probably a government thing that it has to have on it. The PPM are probably real low.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergus View Post
Then you would be wrong. "Some" stainless alloys do contain lead. Usally the cheaper ones.

Hell, even the EPA discloses that "Lead-Free" <brass> plumbing parts can contain up to 8% lead.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
stevo4361
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Basin, WY
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing

Only if you live in Calafornia.
This.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Everything causes cancer in California. Hell, Amtrak cars out there have a sticker in the vestibule that says that diesel fumes cause cancer. All these things are true do doubt. But California feels the need to scare ya I guess.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
suorangeguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Montour Falls, New York
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

You cheaped out a little and bought the faucets with plated chrome over brass. I'm sure they'll work fine but brass contains small amounts of lead.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 2924 Times on 2183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Then you would be wrong. "Some" stainless alloys do contain lead. Usally the cheaper ones.[...]
"PC" models aren't stainless, they're chrome plated over brass.

And apparently not all "brass" is created equal. Some have much lower lead content than others, and CA wants the lead-free version...

Cheers!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
... and CA wants the lead-free version...

Cheers!
Somehow missed inclusion of brass with the plumbing parts bit, of which I have already refferenced the EPA's concession that even "Lead-Free" can contain up to 8% of lead.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)