Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > double pitch??

Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
vadem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default double pitch??

I just brewed an AHS IPA this morning. It included the alcohol boost and the OG was 1.062. This is the highest gravity beer I've done so far and I was wondering if it would be advisable to double pitch. I pitched a packet of US05 but I do have some US04 in the fridge if needed. And is it even OK to combine the two, or should I make a trip to the LHBS and get another US05? (wouldn't be able to get there until after 24 hours in the fermenter)

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If the packet of US05 was fairly fresh, then you should be fine. MrMalty.com yeast starter calculator for dry yeast with OG of 1.062 and a 5 gallon batch, suggests 1 package of yeast (the 11.5 gram size) if yeast was new. Even if 6 month old yeast, it suggests only 1.2 packages, so sit back and wait for it to take off!

If you were using liquid yeast you would definitely have needed 2 packs/vials or more without a starter, but dry yeast has more yeast cells then liquid.

Primary - El Hefe weizen.
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Bacon Helles, Jane's Bitter Brown
Bottled - Nothing

Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
vadem
Recipes 

I didn't look at the date, but I presume it's pretty fresh. I'll see if I can rescue it from the trash. It just came from AHS a couple days ago and with their turnover I would hope much of what they have is fresh. I'm hoping I'll see it taking off by tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 83

...and I don't thinkl it would have hurt it much....

I often toss a "extra" Nottingham on top of some the ales I do that have already had two Liquid Yeasts. 11 Gallon Batches.

For me it is "insurance" as I would rather end up with "some kind of beer than none at all after that kind of work and materials...

DPB