Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Enzymes and flaked oats

Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Listen to Denny and BYO article:
Thanks...as if the info from Palmer wasn't enough!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Facinerous
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ha ha. Thanks everyone for the supporting info. As I said earlier I am new to the brewing thing, and I was torn between just following the recipe I had found or modifying it because it would make more sense to do so.

I talked to the guys at the ol LHBS and they basically stated the exact same thing everyone else has on this thread. If I were to leave the steeping grains as they were the starches from the oats would not convert, but the oats added would still add a creamy feel to the final stout. Adding 1/2 pound of 2-row, though, would convert the starches in the oats and still create the creamy feel to the final stout.

With all this, I chose the 1/2 pound 2-row addition.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #13
zzzzzzzzz
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Let us know how it turned out, please. Sounds like a nice stout to me.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #14
Facinerous
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 22

T'was a very delicious stout indeed. Everything blended together nicely. From the recipe I used blackberries instead of raspberries, just in case anyone was wondering. Everything else I pretty much did to a T.

I did use the amount of vanilla that was listed for the recipe against my lhbs's advice. When bottling I was afraid that I had used to much (the smell of vanilla was very strong), but after a few weeks of carbonation everything balanced out quite well.

Needless to say. My lady was very enamored with the stout, and wants me to do it again soon. There are just so many other ideas in my head for beers to make, and so little brewing time.