Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Can A PWM Deliver True 100% Duty Cycle?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 709
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Can A PWM Deliver True 100% Duty Cycle?

I'm wanting to control my SSR with a PWM based on Walker's design:



But the more I read about 555 circuits, the more I see they are not actually capable of delivering 100% duty cycle (always on). Is this true, or is it modified by the specific circuit?

Could I just add a bypass switch to run the DC directly to the SSR when I wanted a 100%-on signal to my element?


SilverZero is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,303
Liked 926 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Default

I used that circuit for my boil control. In the off position, I notice a very slight flash on. It has to be dark and doesn't even light the led fully it is so quick. I remember discussing this before and I believe it was concluded that the reaction time of the SSR is too slow to respond to such a quick pulse. So for all practical purposes, this is 0 to 100%.


lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 1,006
Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Why do you want to use the 555 timer? Microcontrollers are better.

https://github.com/Fasrad/brewtroller/tree/fancy
BetterSense is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 709
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

I'm not really interested in programming at any level for right now, maybe in the future. I just want to control a boil, I'm not mashing with my heating system.

So can that PWM deliver 100%? I'm not worried about turning it off, I have a kill switch for that.
SilverZero is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
thomashp
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond, VA, Richmond, VA
Posts: 56
Default

You probably won't get a true 100% with a 555 timer PWM circuit, but you are probably looking at something like 99%. You won't ever notice the difference. The timer will reset and then immediately pickup again. If you are that worried about it use a microcontroller or just simply wire a switch straight from your dc source to the SSR. When you want 100% simple flip the switch.
thomashp is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,303
Liked 926 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashp View Post
You probably won't get a true 100% with a 555 timer PWM circuit, but you are probably looking at something like 99%. You won't ever notice the difference. The timer will reset and then immediately pickup again. If you are that worried about it use a microcontroller or just simply wire a switch straight from your dc source to the SSR. When you want 100% simple flip the switch.
Look closely at Walker's circuit. It's a bit different.
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Shockerengr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 453
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

A 555 will never truly get 100%
That being said, depending on your potentiometer, it may be so close to 100% that's it's a negligible difference

If it can adjust to 1k/99k (the two sides) you'll get 99% on time.

you could also add a switch that just holds the output high for on.

search for 555 calculator and you can figure an answer out.

R1 and R2 will add up to ~100k, and C1 is 33uF
Shockerengr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,303
Liked 926 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
A 555 will never truly get 100%
That being said, depending on your potentiometer, it may be so close to 100% that's it's a negligible difference

If it can adjust to 1k/99k (the two sides) you'll get 99% on time.

you could also add a switch that just holds the output high for on.

search for 555 calculator and you can figure an answer out.

R1 and R2 will add up to ~100k, and C1 is 33uF
Notice that the circuit above has no fixed resistors. That is the key.

Here is a link with some explanation and another link.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pwm...rouble-229000/
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
Shockerengr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 453
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Notice that the circuit above has no fixed resistors. That is the key.

Here is a link with some explanation and another link.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pwm...rouble-229000/
While true, not all pots will go fully to 0 ohms / full rating. If they don't you won't hit 100%. but for this application, it's pretty dang close.
Shockerengr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,303
Liked 926 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
While true, not all pots will go fully to 0 ohms / full rating. If they don't you won't hit 100%. but for this application, it's pretty dang close.
Exactly. That is why I get that little tiny pulse when set to 0% and probably a tiny pulse also when set to 100% (which I cannot notice). Using this circuit to control an SSR for boiling it becomes negligible.


lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 minute duty cycle on compressor too short? scone Equipment/Sanitation 10 03-15-2014 07:14 PM
3 weeks til I need to deliver beer for a wedding MSKBeerfan General Techniques 19 06-25-2012 08:14 PM
Amp, gauge, duty cycle recommendations Spintab Electric Brewing 57 12-07-2011 08:45 PM
Efficiency / Duty Cycle of Mini-Fridge Fermentation Chamber portalgod Fermenters 2 08-22-2010 11:45 PM
Hop Wallop fails to deliver beesy General Chit Chat 3 04-09-2009 03:07 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS