Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Really strange earthy taste from New Zealand hops.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
reinstone's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , IL
Posts: 1,219
Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Really strange earthy taste from New Zealand hops.

Hey. I have a buddy who made an ipa with some hop called striselbreck. It' had a strange earthy taste. I didn't care for it. I made a wheat and used a little nelson sauvin to finish it, noticed the same taste. Anyone else notice this. The hops smelled great and fresh. Hop union bagged. It's an odd taste, it's not an off flavor, it's a bland earthy taste.


__________________
BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10
reinstone is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Calichusetts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,756
Liked 413 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default

Just had an amazing IPA from New Zealand. It was fresh hop Nelson Sauvin and Moteuka. I picked up a very different and distinct earthy flavor, almost airy or even grassy (I hate to use that word with all the negatives with it, it was really good)

I wouldn't say it was bland but its certainly different, and not what most people who drink American hopped IPAs are used too.


Calichusetts is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
reinstone's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , IL
Posts: 1,219
Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Just had an amazing IPA from New Zealand. It was fresh hop Nelson Sauvin and Moteuka. I picked up a very different and distinct earthy flavor, almost airy or even grassy (I hate to use that word with all the negatives with it, it was really good)

I wouldn't say it was bland but its certainly different, and not what most people who drink American hopped IPAs are used too.
You described it well. It's not bad.....,its just like whoa. What the heck is that.
__________________
BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10
reinstone is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
daggers_nz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 219
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

only time I've had an earthy taste is from using Northern Brewer
__________________
Primary: Red Rye ale
Conditioning: Winter Ale w/vanilla, allspice and cinnamon , Belgian Dubbel
Drinking: Northern Brown Ale, Robust Porter, ESB, Rye Pale Ale,
Belgian IPA, Belgian Strong Dark, Helles Pale Ale

Next Up: Citra Kaffir Lime American Pale Ale
daggers_nz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
reinstone's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , IL
Posts: 1,219
Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggers_nz View Post
only time I've had an earthy taste is from using Northern Brewer
I may have mis described it. The flavor is fading.
__________________
BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10
reinstone is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Earthy is not really a descriptor for either hop based on beersmith's description. Steispalt should e more of a medium intensity hoppy aroma hop similar to mount hood or halerteur hersbrucker and Nelson savignoun should be more of a fruity gooseberry type of deal.... This is just from the description of beersmith. I have never used either hop though I know a lot of people use striespalt hops in lagers. NS being somewhat new I think has in every style out there at this point.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brulosopher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,824
Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Default

The flavor you're referring to may very well be what a lot of folks perceive as "cat piss," it can be quite strong from some of the new NZ hops, particularly Nelson Sauvin. The flavor usually comes across mid-palate, not immediately when drinking or even in the nose, but a couple seconds after taking a sip. In slight doses, it can be quite nice in my opinion, but too much is, well, too much.
Brulosopher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
daggers_nz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 219
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

I'm getting a bit of this in certain bottles of my amber ale. I used NZ Chinook and Motueka (Saaz). Only some bottles and not all, it's really bizarre. The description in the post above is spot-on, although I'm a bit offended at the 'cat-piss' remark
__________________
Primary: Red Rye ale
Conditioning: Winter Ale w/vanilla, allspice and cinnamon , Belgian Dubbel
Drinking: Northern Brown Ale, Robust Porter, ESB, Rye Pale Ale,
Belgian IPA, Belgian Strong Dark, Helles Pale Ale

Next Up: Citra Kaffir Lime American Pale Ale
daggers_nz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,623
Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
Hey. I have a buddy who made an ipa with some hop called striselbreck. It' had a strange earthy taste. I didn't care for it. I made a wheat and used a little nelson sauvin to finish it, noticed the same taste. Anyone else notice this. The hops smelled great and fresh. Hop union bagged. It's an odd taste, it's not an off flavor, it's a bland earthy taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Earthy is not really a descriptor for either hop based on beersmith's description. Steispalt should e more of a medium intensity hoppy aroma hop similar to mount hood or halerteur hersbrucker and Nelson savignoun should be more of a fruity gooseberry type of deal.... This is just from the description of beersmith. I have never used either hop though I know a lot of people use striespalt hops in lagers. NS being somewhat new I think has in every style out there at this point.
The other it could have been going by the spelling is Sticklebract - which is suposed to be citrus with pine neddles. I use it for bittering in a few beers and have not got this flavour - but those were 60 min additions only.
mattd2 is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
The other it could have been going by the spelling is Sticklebract - which is suposed to be citrus with pine neddles. I use it for bittering in a few beers and have not got this flavour - but those were 60 min additions only.
nope just double checked beersmith says :

name -Strisslespalt


country of origin- France

Description- Aroma hops used widely in the Alsace area of France.
Used for: Pilsner, lager, wheat
Aroma: Medium intensity, pleasant, hoppy
Substitutes: Mt Hood, Crystal, Hallertauer Hersbruck

I'm not sure where the hop name Sticklebract is coming from I just went and searched for like 30 minutes and cannot find that hop anywhere period except in a search this thread comes up...... that's why I assumed a misspelling of the hop name and it was strisslespalt he used. I very well could be wrong as their are a large amount of new hops being introduced at this time.


__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earthy hops tonyc318 Recipes/Ingredients 3 05-03-2012 02:16 PM
Earthy hops... Lee-Ryan Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-02-2011 06:02 PM
Earthy taste mixedbrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 29 01-27-2011 06:40 PM
Combining Citrusy & Earthy Hops carp Recipes/Ingredients 2 08-01-2009 05:09 AM
Earthy Taste from EKG's? Yankeehillbrewer Recipes/Ingredients 4 07-22-2009 07:38 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS