Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > What is your fermentation vessel?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
mcnewcp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What is your fermentation vessel?

I currently brew in a one gallon glass jar, but I want to start making more kombucha per batch. I was considering brewing right in my 5 gallon keg, but I'd heard the acidic environment may still corrode the stainless steel. I've also considered a brewing bucket, but I've heard leaching may be an issue. A carboy is probably out of the question due to the difficulty of removing a SCOBY from the tiny neck.

My question to you is what do you use as a fermentation vessel and how much do you make at a time?

Primary: French/American Farmhouse, ECY20 Lambic
Secondary: Flanders Red
Kegged: Brett Cust Citra Pale Ale, Galaxy/HBC342 Wheat IPA
Bottled: Falconers Flight Farmhouse, 1 yr Blueberry Sour, 2 yr Berliner Weisse

Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
mezmiro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use moonshine bottles and 1 gallon mason jars. Anything bigger and it gets too cumbersome to work with.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

Just one gallon at a time for me in a pickle jar. I don't think I could drink more in the week it takes to brew up a batch.

You could get something like this, which as been around since forever:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/herita...th-lid/s483834

That would get you two gallons in a food safe glass container. I've seen people cut the top off of 5 gallon water jugs to get more air exposure.

I think the main reason to avoid stainless is for the health of the colony, not that an acidic environment will harm the stainless.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Leah
Recipes 

I use a number of containers but my "go to" big containers are a two and three gallon glass containers. One had a spout, which I love because it makes it very easy to fill bottles. Once I fill it, I don't move it because it gets so heavy. I got both from HomeGoods. One looks like a big cookie jar with a lid, the other like a "sun tea" container.

But I'm at the same place you are. I want to brew bigger batches and I've been looking around at how the commercial brands hold their booch. I also visited a home brewing store.

A number of commercial brands use food grade plastic, as do home brewers. I'm going to give it a try, but I'm also concerned about leaking. The Home brew store owner said that only if the surface gets damaged should I be worried. I'm not so sure, but I'm going to give it a try.

I've also noticed that commercial brands use stainless french wine fermentation vessels. They are very expensive (from $250 to $750) and they would make so much booch, I'm not sure I could store it all.