Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stout seems to be stuck in fermentation

Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
miatawnt2b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stout seems to be stuck in fermentation

I have a stout 2 weeks now in the primary that hasn't hit it's FG. I started with 1.053 on 9/20/07 and pitched a nice starter of WLP023 which started crazy action within 2 hours. For 4 days I had crazy fermentation on the bubbler, then nothing. 5 days ago, I decided to give it a gentile stir to see if I could kick in the fermentation again, but I got no action on the bubbler judging by the water levels inside. I totally forgot to take a hydrometer reading then... dummy me.

So anyhow, I checked today, and I am at 1.017, and given the attenuation % of the yeast my FG should hit .010-.013.

I have a few options...

1. Do I re-pitch a yeast and leave in the primary?
2. Do I rack to secondary and pitch a new starter?
3. Leave in the primary and do nothing?
4. Rack to secondary and do nothing?

Knowledgeable assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks!
-J

Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Taygel
Recipes 

it depends....
What was your grain bill? I'm betting that you had a decent amount of non fermentables. Maybe some Crystal/black/chocolate or you added some oats who knows that fg sounds not bad. For me anyway a stout has some mouth feel to it and maybe a little sweetness. Id say transfer it and then bottle condition it and drink it!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Dinbin

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would agree, it sounds like you may be fermented out. I say let it sit a couple more days and check the gravity each day, if its not moving, then it should be done. Move onto next step.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the recipe. Pretty standard, soak grains 20 min, add DME and boil. This is a 5 gal batch.

1/2lb flaked oats (toasted)
1/2lb English Crystal malt
1/2lb English Chocolate malt
3oz roasted barley
5.75lb light DME
2oz Kent Goldings
1tsp irish moss

So, what do you think?

Thanks for your help.
-J

Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say the beer is done. Check it again in a couple of days. If no change, rack to secondary or bottle it. The yeast attenuation percentages are just a guide - you may not get complete attenuation every time.

What brand of DME did you use? Some brands (Laaglander in particular) are not as fermentable as others like Munton's or Briess.