Has anyone ever used this kind of keg? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Has anyone ever used this kind of keg?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts



http://rebelbrewer.com/shop/kegs-and...-draft-system/

i was thinking it was agood idea, but dont know much about it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Malticulous
 
Malticulous's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
St. George Utah
Posts: 4,146
Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts


It's good for what they say it's for. If you don't have another setup with a tank and regulator you will have a hard time carbonating kegs. The injector does not have a regulator it just spurts bursts of co2 into the keg to keep it serving.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
It's good for what they say it's for. If you don't have another setup with a tank and regulator you will have a hard time carbonating kegs. The injector does not have a regulator it just spurts bursts of co2 into the keg to keep it serving.
what do you mean? i thought i could naturally carb the beer in the keg, then us the co2 to serve. will i need a tank to serve as well? will it lose its charge after a few hours?

reverendj1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Britinusa
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 371
Liked 49 Times on 28 Posts


The description say to transfer your already carbed beer, the little co2 bombs wont last long if the beer is trying to absorb it.
__________________
In fermentation "pickledwilly IPA", Irish red ale
on tap, Cockfosters 90 minute ipa, raven Haired beauty, Irish red ale.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Posts: 4,562
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
what do you mean? i thought i could naturally carb the beer in the keg, then us the co2 to serve. will i need a tank to serve as well? will it lose its charge after a few hours?
You can prime it with sugar and let it sit for a few weeks to carbonate, just like with bottles. However, this is not a long term kegging setup. I believe the CO2 injectors may slowly bleed off pressure. This is a good setup for a day or afternoon of serving.
__________________
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


it says "This can also be used for natural carbonation. Just boil half a cup of water, stir in 1/3 of a cup of dextrose (corn sugar/priming sugar), pour into your cleaned and sanitized keg, then transfer your finished beer from the fermenter to the keg. Leave about an inch and a half of headspace. Lock down the lid and leave at room temperature for about 3 weeks".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Jipper
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Posts: 509
Liked 47 Times on 42 Posts


Hey basilchef,

These little kegs / CO2 injectors do work great for serving beer. The CO2 injector will not carbonate, but it will push the beer for you. You would be able to prime the beer / carbonate in the keg with priming sugar if you wish to. This is a little tricky however, as you'll need to use a different amount of priming sugar in the keg than you would in a bottling bucket. Also, the amount of head space in the keg will also play a role on how carbonated the beer will get. The more head space, the more sugar you'll need. Not really a great calculation for this, but it is possible!

Cheers.

basilchef Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
basilchef
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
You can prime it with sugar and let it sit for a few weeks to carbonate, just like with bottles. However, this is not a long term kegging setup. I believe the CO2 injectors may slowly bleed off pressure. This is a good setup for a day or afternoon of serving.
thanks. so do you think icould buy a seperate co2 tank and regulator and attach it to the keg?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Posts: 4,562
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
it says "This can also be used for natural carbonation. Just boil half a cup of water, stir in 1/3 of a cup of dextrose (corn sugar/priming sugar), pour into your cleaned and sanitized keg, then transfer your finished beer from the fermenter to the keg. Leave about an inch and a half of headspace. Lock down the lid and leave at room temperature for about 3 weeks".
That should get you close enough. It depends on how picky you are about carbing to style.
__________________
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Posts: 4,562
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
thanks. so do you think icould buy a seperate co2 tank and regulator and attach it to the keg?
Yes, there's nothing special about that keg. It's just a regular three gallon ball lock keg. Don't get caught up on the idea this is some special system. This setup is just made from commonly available components.
__________________
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

reverendj1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Armageddon (not the fun kind, the ben aflec kind) cheezydemon3 General Chit Chat 34 04-10-2013 03:37 PM
What kind of ciders can I brew (what kind of fruit will ferment) BadgerBrigade Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-08-2011 09:01 AM
What kind of keg is this? LarMoeCur Bottling/Kegging 2 10-03-2011 08:23 PM
What kind of ale is this? BrewMunster Homebrew Ale Recipes 6 07-06-2008 09:09 PM
What kind? packer43064 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 02-04-2008 05:06 PM


Forum Jump