Five bucks a pint for Happy Hour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
Holy crap. I don't homebrew just for the savings, but sometimes I just feel like I'm getting gouged when I head to a bar, and I'm glad I can make a fine beer for the price of BMC. I'm in downtown Cleveland, and we just got this flyer from our management company. $5 a pint for Craft Beer, Happy Hour pricing? What? That's a peak hour price in my book. I still refuse to pay $7 for a 20 oz Bud at the ball park. Won't do it. Am I crazy?

All I can think of is the line in 40 yr old Virgin when they are talking about how busy the club is and the other guy says, "Yeah $9 beer night is always busy"

I agree. I won't pay $5 for a craft beer unless it's with dinner. Happy hour prices should be $2 for BMC and $3 for craft pints in my book.

Fortunately our local Buffalo Wild Wings has a pretty sweet Monday night special: All beer on draft (They have about 30 taps) is $1.78/pint ALL NIGHT! I will usually try to have a pint of any IPA I haven't had and then enjoy Fat Tire Amber Ale for $2 (with tax) per pour!

The most I have ever paid for beer is $12 for a 24 oz can of Miller at a concert. Never again!

$5 a pint sounds like a good deal to me! Here in D.C. I pay anywhere from 6 - 13 dollars for craft beer. Bud on happy hour is usually $4 here. I would say an average non-happy hour pint in D.C. is about $7.

$5 a pint sounds like a good deal to me! Here in D.C. I pay anywhere from 6 - 13 dollars for craft beer. Bud on happy hour is usually $4 here. I would say an average non-happy hour pint in D.C. is about $7.

Yeah, pretty much. 5 bucks for BMC? No way. But for something decent? Sure.

I remember we all turned 19 (drinking age in BC) and would go to the places that served "buck a beer". It was a 12 ounce beer glass of BMC (labbats blue, molson cdn, etc). I ran a couple of pubs in the early 90's and we would have $2.50 tuesdays (anything on tap) and always did a $3 pint special every other day of the week. I guess 20 years later, $5 doesn't sound that far off to me. I certainly would rather get a $5 pint of good beer, rather than a $2 glass of BMC.

I found lots of happy hour specials in FT Lauderdale. Rarely beer, but we found lot of places that had 2/$5 (mixed) drinks, and 2/$5 appy's....

$13? Wow.... They must have the hell taxed out of them..

I'm with you! I wish HH prices for craft beer were around $5 in DC! Brasserie Beck (Belgian Restaurant) used to do half price draft belgians for happy hour. That was in the neighborhood of $5 a beer, but they don't do it any more. On Friday I had a Chef Geoff's "Supermug" of Star Hill Northern Lights IPA for $12, so I thought that was a good deal... 32oz of hoppy goodness!

This is a regional thing, so whether $5 is a good price or not is going to change place to place.

Most of the micros / nanos / brewpubs in the Tampa Bay area are at $5-6 a pint for their own beers and a dollar more for guest taps. The beer bars are $5-7+ for anything non BMC and most of the places that do happy hour don't includes crafts or imports.

I just brewed 11 gallons of "craft beer" last weekend for a total cost of $25. That's like $0.28/pint.

Now I remember why I'm usually found sipping homebrew on my deck on the weekends instead of bar hopping.

I was unhappy when domestics went to $2.50 at my local hang out for happy hour. A few regulars, myself included, no longer stay very long to socialize.

There's a bar in the next town from me that sells PBR on tap @ $3.00. And Craft beers (They have a nice Evil 8) 8% for $5.00...........

Holy crap. I don't homebrew just for the savings, but sometimes I just feel like I'm getting gouged when I head to a bar, and I'm glad I can make a fine beer for the price of BMC. I'm in downtown Cleveland, and we just got this flyer from our management company. $5 a pint for Craft Beer, Happy Hour pricing? What? That's a peak hour price in my book. I still refuse to pay $7 for a 20 oz Bud at the ball park. Won't do it. Am I crazy?

With that pricing on happy hour beer, I can tell who the bar owner is trying to make happy.:cross:

That's about average for my favorite microbrewery.

Menu-pg-1.jpg

in Philly off happy hour most crafts are 5-9. Some placed do half off happy hours, $2 off/drink, and a few bars do $3 you call its.

I treated myself to a fancy lunch over the weekend, a burger and 2 16oz beers. Keep in mind fancy to me is anything with a waiter, so it was no fancy to most people haha..

My bill was $24 + tip!!

$5 a 16oz beer is killer.. but what gets me is that I can get a growler filled there for $8 to $10!!

That's about average for my favorite microbrewery.

Menu-pg-1.jpg

I love the D. I take the family up there for Woodward Dream Cruise each year (business related), and we've hit the Woodward Ave Brewery and Atwood. I'll check out Dragonmead-- I always assumed from the name of the place that it was mostly mead. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I had serious shock when I moved to DC after a tour in Europe. I got awesome beers from the local breweries everywhere I went in Germany for relatively cheap. And...I could get 1 Euro Belgians at the Belgian Bar run by the Belgian Army. My first $9 pint in DC was my last. I'll make my own.

Yeah. I'm old enough to remember 29 cent gasoline, too, and a six of Stroh's was probably a buck and something. Amazing how time flies.....

The local Flying Saucer here has a $3 Fire Sale craft beer pint every day. On Sundays, almost all Texas craft pints are $3 and on Mondays about 2/3 of all the taps (~50) are also $3. I love the Saucer.... :mug:

I had serious shock when I moved to DC after a tour in Europe. I got awesome beers from the local breweries everywhere I went in Germany for relatively cheap. And...I could get 1 Euro Belgians at the Belgian Bar run by the Belgian Army. My first $9 pint in DC was my last. I'll make my own.

I enjoy going out with friends so, I still spend $9 routinely on beer in DC to be social. What shocks me about DC beer prices is sometimes one beer is as much or more than my burger and fries which also routinely cost $9 - $15 anywhere in DC.

You guys all need to quit complaining. Here in MA, happy hour is illegal. :(

But, I'll echo what others have said: if you're in a big east cost city (Boston/NY/DC), $5 is a great deal for a craft beer. My favorite beer bars in the Boston area generally have $6-12 pours. I would say for a domestic craft beer, $7 is about the norm.

It's all relative. When I was in school in Rochester NY my favorite bar had $2 pints on Tuesdays, BOGO pints on Wednesdays, and $6 pitchers on Thursdays. That was for everything on draft, craft or otherwise.

You guys all need to quit complaining. Here in MA, happy hour is illegal. :(

:eek:

I was spoiled living in Atlanta when I was in college. If we were low on money we would just go to Sweetwater or Red Brick and pay $5 for all you can drink beer. If we had money and wanted to go some place nice we could get a good craft pour for $4.

And I thought it was bad when most of the local breweries here raised the price of their pints to $4.50. Luckily, most give $1 off for AHA, so I only pay $3.50.

What kills me are the bars that charge pint prices, $4 to $5 around here, but use the 12 oz. "pint" glasses and then even pour those short so your paying that much for about 10 oz. of beer. One of the bars here (that uses that tactic) has "buy a tall (supposedly 22oz but I would guess more like 20) for the price of a small" for happy hour so it ends up being a decent deal.

But yeah, I'd rather be drinking a homebrew in my backyard anyway...

I love the D. I take the family up there for Woodward Dream Cruise each year (business related), and we've hit the Woodward Ave Brewery and Atwood. I'll check out Dragonmead-- I always assumed from the name of the place that it was mostly mead. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Well evidently 15 years ago or whenever it was, they wanted to open as a meadery, but at that time there weren't any provisions in the liquor laws for making mead....so they snagged the second microbrewery license in the Detroit area and began making beer instead. And helped write the mead legislation. You've been missing out on some great beers thinking that...gotta get over there and get caught up.

Latest posts

Back