Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider kinda sour after 3 weeks

Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Maverick22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cider kinda sour after 3 weeks

Hey, I started a batch of cider 3 weeks ago with store bought apple juice and I let it ferment dry and it sort of tastes dry.
No apple flavor whatsoever.

Will this make a turnaround so the flavour comes back out or can I backsweeten it?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Did you add sugar to the original juice? Give it some time to age and the apple flavor should come back around. You could back sweeten with some juice concentrate if you don't want to wait.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Maverick22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Did you add sugar to the original juice? Give it some time to age and the apple flavor should come back around. You could back sweeten with some juice concentrate if you don't want to wait.

Just a bit, 60 grams.. Was that a stupid thing to do?

How long is some time? I'm kind of impatient and these 3 weeks have been horrible waiting lol.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

(60 grams) is only a couple US ounces sugar, so that shouldn't be an issue even in 1 gallon of juice. Usually if you go overboard with sugar it will tend to taste more like a dry white wine instead of apple cider.

We've ALL been impatient at some point. Any home brewer that says they haven't is either lying or a monk. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to say exactly how long it will take. I'd say give it another week and try another taste. Ultimately it might need 3-4.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
JR_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
I'd say give it another week and try another taste. Ultimately it might need 3-4.
I agree. But after 3-4 more weeks, don't hesitate to backsweeten. I like using apple juice concentrate. It provides more apple flavor, as well as sweetness.

Also, remember that if you backsweeten, you need to kill off the yeast, or it won't be sweet for long... those little yeasties will go to town on that sugar.

Good luck!

Planned - GP/Mosaic SMaSH
Fermenting - Ned's Red (Flanders Red Ale), Saison Graf, Tangerine Mead
Bottled - Belgian Tripel, Belgo Graf, Saison (split batch with brett), Black 13 (Graf Porter), Old Style Amer. Cream Ale, Amber Graf, Wheat Graf, Bannockburn Wee Heavy, Berry Mead

Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Maverick22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay, thanks for your suggestions and sorry for being a bit of a dumbass here, it's my first attempt at anything homebrew.

I'll avoid looking at it and try to occupy myself with something else lol.