Food safety of polyester/nylon mesh? (Bittering hops bag, BIAB, and dry hopping) - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Food safety of polyester/nylon mesh? (Bittering hops bag, BIAB, and dry hopping)

Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
ikyn
Recipes 

Apr 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there any kind of literature that points to the safety of nylon or polyester used in:
  • Bittering/Finishing hops during the boil
  • Mashing (BIAB use)
  • Dry-hopping (extended temperature control use)

I'm having a hard time finding public domain literature on the food safety use of these materials at the desired temperatures. Anyone happen to have the information handy?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
jb1677
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Columbia, MD
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I posted a similar question last year, never got a great answer ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab...fe-bag-350276/ )

Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Blue-Frog
Recipes 

May 2013
Nagano
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Hi

I am also interested in this question.
I think Basic Brewing may have covered this in one of the episodes with a formerly unnamed person... sleepy now can't recall title nor nick-name.
I'll edit this when I recall something.

Bottom line was, I think, nothing to worry about.

We need more information.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Largus1776
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately there is little scientifically factual information available on safety topics.

Some information from my research is posted on this this thread below (starting with post #12 from GeneticBrew "One benefit to 3 big stainless kettles is food grade material"). Also on this thread the links to the toxicologist interviewed on Basic Brewing podcasts:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...=458429&page=2

Many brewers’ personal efforts reflect a commitment to integrity of the brewing process; that is both safe and produces a beer of purity and tastiness.

Historically, the German purity laws were an early benchmark towards a mindset of making the ingredients safe and a commitment to integrity of process.

The home brewer should have access to appropriate information. With this, the home-brewer can make an informed decision as to the level of safety and integrity of process to incorporate into their own beer.

It is unfortunate that such information is not more widely available.