Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mistakes. Read one, leave one.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #101
OkashiiBrew
Only drink when your all alone or with somebody else
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 25

AC died when I was fermentating my Irish Red. Was too lazy to put in a water bath with ice. 2 days at 80 degrees! I thought maybe I should let it go another 3 weeks to clean up any off flavors. Bottled it without a care. Well 3 weeks later, banana city. Smells like bananas and taste like plastic. Too lazy to open all 46 remaining bottles and dump. I think I will let it age and hope my beer gets better or that awful taste grows on me. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, come on over and have a brew.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #102
j_ettar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 30

I brewed my second batch of beer 1 week after my first batch (electric all grain). Almost everything went well, except the big spill of cooling water left alone when i was cleaning my fermenter in another room. But this isnt counted as a mistake.

The mistake is that i ordered a #6 and a #7 stopper, because i didn't know the size to use with my glass carboys. The #6 was on my fermenting batch in my keezer. So i took the #7 and after 30 min of trying to fit it in my second glass carboy, i manage to push it down the neck! Dang i was happy.

Two day later, my keezer top opened because my fermenter exploded under pressure. There was glass everywhere in my room -_-
God im lucky to have fermented in a keezer.

La morale de cette histoire : Always use the right size of stopper with glass carboys!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #103
clarksc4
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 9 Posts

Finished bottling a batch of bourbon vanilla imperial porter. Then proceeded to open the bourbon and pour a glass to reward myself for the hard work.
Yup. Face palm. Literal face palm.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #104
Shadowtheweak
Recipes 

I bottled some of my mead in 1.75 swing top vodka bottles... Apparently it was not done fermenting... I had them on a top shelf in a closet and it blew the doors open and knocked a 70lb safe onto the floor along with a few other bottles. Luckily I wasn't home at the time or in the process of going into the closet lol. That was quite the cleanup, there was glass and sticky mead everywhere.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #105
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

my mistakes are pretty benign..

1. accidentally dumped my stirbar into the fermentation bucket.
2. ran out of propane w/o a back up
3. Opened the tap on the kegerator and nothing came out.. opened it up and realized that my kegerator was set too low and froze my tap lines. I left the door open to help it thaw and a little later I heard a noise coming from the general area.. turned out I left the tap open and once the ice thawed, it dumped a few pints over the top of my kegerator. Thankfully I was close by...

Old 12-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #106
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 2894

I can think of two. One was just carelessness and stupidity.. No, both were.

First beer I ever brewed was fermented in a glass carboy and dry hopped with a few ounces of leaf cascade. What a PITA to get 2 ounces of beer swollen leafs out of a carboy.. maybe if I give the mouth of the GLASS carboy a little tap on the toilet I'm dumping the trub into the hops will come out easier. Fail. One tap and the carboy came apart.

Second, I thought I read somewhere that tossing your stir bar into a flask of boiliing starter was a good way to sanitize the stir bar. So, I did. Everything was fine. Once the starter was finished boiling I cooled it, pitched the yeast and put it on my stir plate. There was a strange metallic clanking sound, like metal on glass. I didn't worry about it. A few hours later the sound was louder and the stirbar kept getting thrown. The starter looked strange, cloudier than normal. I investigated. The teflon coating, or what ever was used to coat the stir bar had melted off during the boil. Six dollar bottle of yeast and some dry malt extract down the drain. The flask was pretty easy to clean out but I didn't try the bump it method this time.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 AM   #107
IanJ
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 108

While using Better Bottles for one of my first extract batches I didn't bother considering temperature maximums for the plastic. Anyway, as the story goes... I was heating up 2 or 3 gallons of addition water and poured it in straight from the kettle after a short boil... I'm sure you can guess the chaos that followed.

Melting and warping BB. Luckily it didn't overflow and burn me. Stupidest thing I've ever done regarding beer

Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #108
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My first IPA went well on brew day but made an error on bottling day. Had about .5-1 gallon more volume so I tried to estimate what I would need in addition to the normal 4.5 oz priming sugar. Had some light DME on hand so I used... 1/4 cup! I effectively doubled the priming amount and now my IPA has a head that resembles the washing machine on the Brady Bunch when Bobby put in the whole box of detergent! Lol

I may need to drink it fast to avoid bottle bombs...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #109
Rotgut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I moved to a new house. My wort chiller had the wrong thread adapter for the faucets in my new house. By the time I realized this, I was a bottle of mead in to the day and couldn't drive to the store for ice or another adapter. So every ice pack, ice cube and other expendable frozen item when into a tub of cold water to chill the wort.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #110
quincy07
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I miscalculated the volume for my last batch and primed for 3.5 gallons when in reality I got closer to 4.75 gallons into bottles. The bottle I opened last week, 10 days in the bottle, was damn near flat. I put another in the fridge last night for me to try tonight. I'm hoping it's carbed up more after another week in the bottle but don't have high expectations. If these don't carb up I might just dump it and chock it up to a stupid mistake that cost me the batch cuz I don't care for flat beer.