Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stainless brewing dry hopper
Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Stainless brewing dry hopper

Just ordered a Stainless Brewing dry hopper. I've never dry hopped in the keg. Do you take it out of the keg after a few days? I typically don't open my keg again after things are carbed up but I don't think the hops will do good think over the life of the contents.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
lupulin shift victim
Liked 631 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Lots of folks me included leave the dry hops in for the length of the keg. The cold temps help keep things from getting grassy I think. Although I will say I've only ever done this on IPA's and those kegs don't last more than 4-6 wks at my house.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So far I've been disappointed with the dry hopper. Both bertus brewing and the stainless website said little if any dry hops will make it through the screen. I've poured 12 pints and all have loads of hop material in it
Old 10-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I've been very busy with two moves and keeping up with orders the past two months so I haven't had a lot of time to keep up on the forums. I usually just place the dry hopper in the keg without any shaking involved. I don't agitate the keg or the hopper when I remove the strainer. I don't keep the strainer in the keg while serving beer. If the strainer sits at the bottom while serving beer, you'll have a high chance of the dip tub pulling hop material into your glass. The method I've been using has been successful with only little material with the first couple of pints which is expected. From what I've heard, there's no need to have the hops sit in the keg for more than a week because of the chance of putting off grassy aromas or flavors. I haven't had but maybe a few people that's had this problem. If it continues to grow, we can always go with a finer mesh but these are also being used as a hop strainer for the boil kettle as well. Going to fine would increase clogging and possibly decrease hop utilization.
Stainless Brewing LLC
Equipment, fittings, valves, tubing, accessories, kegging, custom fabrication and more.
Stainless is Painless at