Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Advice please- Atlanta beer scene?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Edb7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Advice please- Atlanta beer scene?

Hello,

I will spending July 1st through 6th in Atlanta, GA (100 CNN Center
Atlanta, Georgia). If you know the area, please advise me on what the "must visits" are, beer-related and just worthwhile sites to see.

As for sampling, I am a hop head but appreciate a broad variety of beers. Experiencing great beer is my priority over cost or other factors.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out!


Edb7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
gimmejava
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 54
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Visit Sweetwater Brewing Company. They have a cool tour and wide selection of beers.


gimmejava is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,510
Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Red Brick is another brewer you can check out. If you have some time, you can drive two hours up to Terrapin in Athens, GA and visit with Spike, too. Atlanta has some great spots for eating and drinking. My favorite bohemian area is around five points. Grab a burger and a brew at someplace like the laughing skull and go check out the junkman's daughter for a laugh. There's lots of little shops, restaurants and bars in the area so just investigate it for yourself.

Two restaurants that are a must are Fat Matts (hole in the wall but best BBQ) on the north side of Atlanta and Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles (off Pico or Peachtree). Roscoe's invented the chicken and waffles trend of the south.

The premiere concert venues are the Fox Theater and The Tabernacle. Both are awesome in their own way and both are located downtown. See if anyone is playing in concert you want to see when you're there.

Also, it's a sin against humanity if you don't check out the Atlanta Aquarium at least once in your lifetime. It makes a great place to sober up.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
aiptasia is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bd2xu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 887
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Default

For beer, taco Mac is a chain and its hard to drive far without hitting one. It's bar food, mostly not great, But they are known for their buffalo wings, they are very very good. The main reason to go there, however, because the average store has about 90 beers on tap and close to 200 in the bottle. They have a club called Brewniversity, Where you get credit for every unique beer you drink. If you're going to be in Atlanta long it's a great way to force yourself to sample a different beer every time you visit there. I've been doing the club since July 2007 and I have about 260 beers on my list right now. Also since someone mentioned five points, the Porter is a phenomenal beer bar/restaurant. In Alpharetta and another in Sandy Springs I believe, is a restaurant/brewery called five seasons which is excellent as well. They have a very extensive and unique menu many times focusing on local fresh ingredients. But they also go off the map a little and do things like an antelope patty melt, or frog legs. They make their own beer and have several on tap and I've never had a bad one. There are other new breweries in town like Monday night, jailhouse which is south of the city, and red hare.

Something else to mention about taco Mac, there is a Speakeasy sort of bar below the taco Mac on Roswell Road in the Prado shopping center. Officially it doesn't have a name, at least that it advertises, but it is known as the Fred. Fred is their main beer guy for the stores, and at the Fred you can find a selection of some really unique beer that you won't find anywhere else. You are supposed to have to show your tokamak membership card to get into the Fred, but I've heard that they have loosened up on that as of late. Although, it's not easy to find. When you're out the taco Mac at the Prado, you have to walk around the side and go around the back below to find an unmarked door good luck. The hidden aspect makes it kind of fun and cool, they open after 5 o'clock.
__________________
On Deck: Helles, 4-Way IIPA (Lagunitas Sucks clone)
Primary:
Secondary: Kate The Great, Maibock, Wee Heavy
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln
bd2xu is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
 
sfrisby's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,781
Liked 263 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Plus 1 on The Porter in little 5. Another renowned beer bar is The Brickstore in Decatur. Good luck.
sfrisby is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Edb7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default You guys are awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to help out a fellow beer lover. It sounds like Atlanta does have a beer scene and I look forward to sampling.
Edb7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Edb7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Thanks

Thanks for the extra info on travel stops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Two restaurants that are a must are Fat Matts (hole in the wall but best BBQ) on the north side of Atlanta and Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles (off Pico or Peachtree). Roscoe's invented the chicken and waffles trend of the south.

The premiere concert venues are the Fox Theater and The Tabernacle. Both are awesome in their own way and both are located downtown. See if anyone is playing in concert you want to see when you're there.

Also, it's a sin against humanity if you don't check out the Atlanta Aquarium at least once in your lifetime. It makes a great place to sober up.
Edb7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Edb7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Wow!

It sounds like you really know the area and I appreciate the feedback. Fred's has me a bit nervous... Why do I envision being mugged in a back alley? Ha! Taco Mac sounds like an easy way to experience many brews and Five Points sounds like a must. We'll see about good ol' Fred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
For beer, taco Mac is a chain and its hard to drive far without hitting one. It's bar food, mostly not great, But they are known for their buffalo wings, they are very very good. The main reason to go there, however, because the average store has about 90 beers on tap and close to 200 in the bottle. They have a club called Brewniversity, Where you get credit for every unique beer you drink. If you're going to be in Atlanta long it's a great way to force yourself to sample a different beer every time you visit there. I've been doing the club since July 2007 and I have about 260 beers on my list right now. Also since someone mentioned five points, the Porter is a phenomenal beer bar/restaurant. In Alpharetta and another in Sandy Springs I believe, is a restaurant/brewery called five seasons which is excellent as well. They have a very extensive and unique menu many times focusing on local fresh ingredients. But they also go off the map a little and do things like an antelope patty melt, or frog legs. They make their own beer and have several on tap and I've never had a bad one. There are other new breweries in town like Monday night, jailhouse which is south of the city, and red hare.

Something else to mention about taco Mac, there is a Speakeasy sort of bar below the taco Mac on Roswell Road in the Prado shopping center. Officially it doesn't have a name, at least that it advertises, but it is known as the Fred. Fred is their main beer guy for the stores, and at the Fred you can find a selection of some really unique beer that you won't find anywhere else. You are supposed to have to show your tokamak membership card to get into the Fred, but I've heard that they have loosened up on that as of late. Although, it's not easy to find. When you're out the taco Mac at the Prado, you have to walk around the side and go around the back below to find an unmarked door good luck. The hidden aspect makes it kind of fun and cool, they open after 5 o'clock.
Edb7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
jsberry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Don't get your hopes up, the Atlanta beer scene is pretty weak. All the local breweries are mediocre at best. As stated above, the Taco Mac chain has the best selection of bottles. The menu of beers on draft looks good too, but they are often out of the one you want. The only eatery worth a trip is Fox Brothers BBQ which often has Stone products on tap. Good luck.
jsberry is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
Edb7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Good news

The good news is that Taco Mac is attached to my hotel! Beer IS proof that God loves us! I will look up that BBQ joint to see if it is a reasonable walk. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
Don't get your hopes up, the Atlanta beer scene is pretty weak. All the local breweries are mediocre at best. As stated above, the Taco Mac chain has the best selection of bottles. The menu of beers on draft looks good too, but they are often out of the one you want. The only eatery worth a trip is Fox Brothers BBQ which often has Stone products on tap. Good luck.


Edb7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Michigan beer scene wulfsburg General Chit Chat 10 12-27-2011 04:14 PM
Detroit Beer Scene joeirvine General Beer Discussion 10 07-15-2011 05:16 AM
best Nashville beer scene? MattHollingsworth General Beer Discussion 24 01-20-2010 01:03 AM
San Diego Beer-scene RoaringBrewer California HomeBrew Forum 11 11-01-2008 01:42 AM
Los Angeles Beer Scene raceskier California HomeBrew Forum 2 08-16-2007 11:18 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS