I dont know squat about harvesting yeast, but I;ve got a working method! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I dont know squat about harvesting yeast, but I;ve got a working method!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
dmarc85
Recipes 

Apr 2013
Liked 61 Times on 42 Posts

In an attempt to save money, I've been reusing my yeast; I have been pouring off the yeast cake from my primary fermenters into a sanitized jar of water and DME (obviously boiled). I keep this yeast under refrigeration, then I pitch it into a new batch of beer! My method has seemed to work every time; I still brew beers with yeast that I've harvested multiple times.

MY QUESTION: Is this method of harvesting and repitching yeast going to cause me problems down the road? Will my yeast eventually peter-out? Is there something I can do to ensure that my method remains viable and I can continue to save money?

SEND MY YOUR FEEDBACK!!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
el_caro
Recipes 

Feb 2011
, Australia
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Your method is commonly used by many homebrewers.
I suggest you read the sticky thread on yeast washing.
The yeast you harvest will continue to change their behavior in a small manner with each generation and hence you will end up with a different beer result down the track. As to how many generations you go before noticing it depends on several factors. I am sure you will get a few different answers here about how many generations maximum you should use.
You can of course harvest from an initial starter made from a fresh pack / vial and that will result in less likelihood of mutation.
Another option is slanting yeast and there is an excellent sticky thread on that subject.