Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2-row Cascade Nottingham SMaSH - Darkened by about 10 SRM in secondary

Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
mavandeh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default 2-row Cascade Nottingham SMaSH - Darkened by about 10 SRM in secondary

Hey gang,

I made 3 gallons of a 2-row smash and decided to rack it off of dry hops that I put in the primary. In the secondary it turned from a pale 4 SRM to the color of a brown ale. What could cause this?

There's a lot of headspace in my secondary (3 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy) so maybe oxidation?

I took about 12 ounces of it out (about 10 thiefs worth at 3 gallon depth) to take to a tasting. I did not sanitize between each pull. Maybe an infection could have caused it?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I cold crashed it (34F), then did not have the time to bottle it because something came up. I brewed another batch for a competition, and raised the temperature back to 62F for it to ferment. Maybe I killed the yeast with the wild temperature fluctuations? Can autolysis turn the beer brown?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavandeh View Post
Hey gang,

I made 3 gallons of a 2-row smash and decided to rack it off of dry hops that I put in the primary. In the secondary it turned from a pale 4 SRM to the color of a brown ale. What could cause this?

There's a lot of headspace in my secondary (3 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy) so maybe oxidation?

I took about 12 ounces of it out (about 10 thiefs worth at 3 gallon depth) to take to a tasting. I did not sanitize between each pull. Maybe an infection could have caused it?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I cold crashed it (34F), then did not have the time to bottle it. I brewed another batch for a competition, and raised the temperature back to 62F for it to ferment. Maybe I killed the yeast with the wild temperature fluctuations? Can autolysis turn the beer brown?
Yeast crashing out in secondary often makes beer look darker...

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
mavandeh Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Yeast crashing out in secondary often makes beer look darker...
This. The beer darkening is one of the indications that I use to determine that the beer might be done.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Color can be pretty subjective too- maybe the secondary carboy is a slightly different tint? Simplistic, yeah, but it always amazes me how much darker a carboy look than the hydrometer sample or a pint.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
Color can be pretty subjective too- maybe the secondary carboy is a slightly different tint? Simplistic, yeah, but it always amazes me how much darker a carboy look than the hydrometer sample or a pint.
You're right about the subjectivity. Also, the carboy has a wider diameter than that of a glass or hydrometer jar, more color compounds to diffract/absorb the wavelengths that I've perceived to disappear. However, comparing the light copper color that I saw before in my carboy to the dark amber or light brown that I see now (it is the same color as my mirror pond clone and I used no crystal malt), it has definitely darkened.

It smells fine.