Bad LHBS experience - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bad LHBS experience

Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
steeldrummerj
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Westfield, MA
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I went to a new store today because the one I've been buying from is seriously overpriced. I had heard about the owner being a very knowledgeable brewer, so I drove a little further to try out this store.
I've brewed 7 batches on my own, and a good 15-20 with a friend, so while I'm not an expert, I know a fair amount. Before ordering ingredients, we had a short discussion on my brewing experience. I had a recipe for a chocolate stout in my hand, and when asking for ingredients, he questioned almost every single one. Now, I'm all for feedback, but he was questioning every choice more than once. I almost had so say, "Look. Just get me what I'm asking for. I know what I'm doing." He kept telling me I was making the wrong decision with everything. I wanted 8oz more Crystal 60l than he used in his kit, and he said it would be WAY too much. "You'll have too much caramel flavor." Maybe I WANT a little more of that flavor? He straight up told me I couldn't use peated malt in a different beer because "even an ounce in 5 gallons will be undrinkable. No one will ever drink that beer."

Just had to get that off my chest. I need a homebrew.
Bottled:Cream of Three Crops, Tim's Hoppedscotch Ale, Brown Sugar Apfelwein, Exploding Grapefruit IIPA, Nemo's Irish Red, Snowed-In Stout, Sunday Brunch Stout (Pretty sure it's infected....)

Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 336 Times on 239 Posts

Was he trying to push you into buying his kits?

Next time say hello, hand him a shopping list and state nicely that I'd like these products please... if he asks anything, say its none of your business.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Yeah some folks don't have that internal mechanism that tells most of us when we're moving from being helpful to being a PITA. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I basically don't believe a thing my local supplier says. He puts the BS in LHBS.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Kiknjville
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I went to my LHBS for my first all grain brew. I asked for Cascade and they didn't have enough for my order. So I asked if they had anything comparable that I could use to replace. He said "Chinook." Many of you probably already get it. I didn't until I drove 30 minutes to get home and googled "hop profiles."

Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
shivalotus
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Seattle, Washington
Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts

All this makes me thankful for the LHBS in Seattle.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
steeldrummerj
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Westfield, MA
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Just opened the new floating thermometer that I bought there today.....Broken.
Bottled:Cream of Three Crops, Tim's Hoppedscotch Ale, Brown Sugar Apfelwein, Exploding Grapefruit IIPA, Nemo's Irish Red, Snowed-In Stout, Sunday Brunch Stout (Pretty sure it's infected....)

Old 04-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
shoreman
Recipes 

Feb 2012
, ma
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Just order online next time - no questions asked

amandabab Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Webster Groves, MO
Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiknjville View Post
I went to my LHBS for my first all grain brew. I asked for Cascade and they didn't have enough for my order. So I asked if they had anything comparable that I could use to replace. He said "Chinook." Many of you probably already get it. I didn't until I drove 30 minutes to get home and googled "hop profiles."
They both begin with C so what is the issue?

The LHBS i go to for the most part is pretty good without being pretentious.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
Desvio
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Portland, Oregon /, Bucerias, Nayarit
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I've been ordering some unusual ingredients lately experimenting, and I love my LHBS, if you order unusual ingredients the only thing they say is "Sounds interesting, bring some in when it's ready".

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Liked 5902 Times on 3471 Posts

every HBS I've been in, besides Northern Brewer, have talked me like I'm an idiot. until I either talked about brewing or brought them something I made.
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.