Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Water - Filtered Bottled vs. Boiled Tap
View Poll Results: Of the following, which would you recommend for your brewing method:
Britta Filtered Tap Water 3 10.71%
Boil Tap Water 11 39.29%
Walmart Water Station 8 28.57%
Filtered Bottled Water 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
OtisLamb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Water - Filtered Bottled vs. Boiled Tap

Hi:

This subject has probably been talked to death, but, I was unable to find anything with this title listed.

Up until now, I have been using store bought filtered bottled water. As you know it can be a chore to ensure you have enough when brew day arrives.

Anyway, I have purchased two 3 gallon jugs (from Walmart) and was wondering about what would be the best water to use to fill them.

I have four options:
1) I have a Britta water filter pitcher. I use it for my everyday water needs; i.e. coffee, drinking, etc. I can use it to filter my tap water and pour it into the jugs; a lengthy process, but, will produce 'clean' water.
2) I can just boil the water in large pots, allow it to cool, and pour it into the jugs.
3) Run down to the local Walmart and get water from the bottling water station they have.
4) Purchase filtered bottled water.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or, should I just stick to the old method of purchasing filtered bottled water?

Tanx, in advance.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

I think the bottling station from Wal-mart is perfect, but reverse osmosis water (from the water machine) is different than typical bottled water. I'd make sure it says "reverse osmosis" water on the machine and not "spring water" or something else.

I'd either get a water report from my water company (or send a sample out to Ward Lab for $16.50 for a full report), or use the reverse osmosis water from the store.

If the tap water makes good beer, there is no reason to not use it of course. But I don't know what's in your tap water.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
OtisLamb Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
OtisLamb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I think the bottling station from Wal-mart is perfect, but reverse osmosis water (from the water machine) is different than typical bottled water. I'd make sure it says "reverse osmosis" water on the machine and not "spring water" or something else.

I'd either get a water report from my water company (or send a sample out to Ward Lab for $16.50 for a full report), or use the reverse osmosis water from the store.

If the tap water makes good beer, there is no reason to not use it of course. But I don't know what's in your tap water.
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have a clue as to what is in my tap water either. And, I don't trust what they may be putting in the tap water these days. One would think that they could just run down to the local water company (in my case Sun Valley General Improvement District [Sun Valley, NV <just north of Reno.] SFGID for short) and get a report. In fact, I will give that a try. :-)

Either that, or break down and purchase a report. To be honest, I am a bit fearful of what the report would say about what I have been cooking/drinking. LOL

Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Did you try finding the report online? Mine is online (Cincinnati) so I assume most are too.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all that information and if I should change my brewing habits, which is to use tap water for all my brewing.
OtisLamb Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
OtisLamb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Did you try finding the report online? Mine is online (Cincinnati) so I assume most are too.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all that information and if I should change my brewing habits, which is to use tap water for all my brewing.
I have not been able to locate any water reports for my city (Sun Valley [Reno], NV) online, to date. If anyone has a suggestion as to where to look, please advise.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
raysmithtx
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's the report for Reno. I don't know for sure how close you are or if the same water source is used.
http://tmwa.com/docs/your_water/wate...wqr_report.pdf
OtisLamb Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Francus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I filter. Get a whole house filter for around $30 and the actual filter inserts are $20. Each one lasts for a few years, easy. They say they last 30 days for whole home use, so brewing is way less. Anyway, get brass adapters so you can attach it to a hose and you're done. It is quick and will take out the chlorine/chlorimines as well as the other bad stuff. I've used this for years and the beer has been great. The only time I didn't use this setup was when I lived in Colorado Springs. The tap water there was just fine.

Make sure you open it up and let it dry out after using it so it doesn't get mold.
OtisLamb Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I didn't answer because my tap water is fantastic for brewing. Have you checked yours? By far the best option if it is viable.
OtisLamb Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
MagicSmoker
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I dunno about the advice that if your water tastes fine to drink it will make good beer. My water tastes fine to drink (perhaps because of the whole-house carbon filter), but it is fairly alkaline (8.3 pH) so it makes *terrible* beer as is.

Switching over to RO water made a world of difference for me.

Note, I also tried using "Spring water" from the grocery store, but with no real difference in the taste of my beer. Turns out the spring water is nearly as alkaline as my tap water (8.0 pH).

Look for the thread in the Brew Science sub-forum titled "Water chemistry primer" or the like and read the first post carefully. It saved my bacon for sure.
OtisLamb Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Whatever you do, make sure the water is filtered. Filters remove more than just chlorine, so this is a must. Buying filtered water is fine, but you generally don't know the mineral content, so your beer isn't very reproducible and you're not learning much about how water impacts your beer. Of course, if you're buying RO water you know the mineral content (nearly zero), so just realize you'll have to add back minerals, generally just CaCl and gypsum will do it, but that's it's own area for research.

OtisLamb Likes This