Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to calculate the amount of water I need for the mash-tun & sparging?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default How to calculate the amount of water I need for the mash-tun & sparging?

I am brewing all-grain for the 1st time...using 8.00 lb UK Maris Otter (2 Row) UK. It is going to be a 5 gallon batch...and I have everything ready....but I dont know how to calculate the amount of water I need for the mash-tun (for the 60 min-conversion part) and then the amount of water for the sparging.......can anyone tell me how to start calculating them?
At this stage...is it important to know the temperature of the striking water? I guess not....but I hope you guys can tell me more.

Ah....and I guess I will need to calculate the amount of water that will be absord and the water that will evaporate later.....any ideas on those?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3025 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. I do PB/PM BIAB with 5lbs of grains in 2 gallons of water. I sparge with 1.5 gallons at 165-168F to get a total boil volume of 3.5 gallons. Since you're doing AG,are you doing a full boil or partial?
8lbs of grain would be mashed in 3.5-4 gallons of water,so maybe sparge with 2 gallons for full boil volume of 6 gallons?...

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You will loose water to absorb tion and to dead space in the mash tun. You need to figure those numbers out.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6229 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 1681

In general, you want to use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. So, with your 8 pound grainbill, that's 12 quarts (3 gallons). Water temperature is crucial, as that is what creates your mash temperature. A good quality accurate thermometer is imperative.

How are you sparging? If you're fly sparging or batch sparging, there are some differences.

Either way, you then sparge up to your boil volume.

8 pounds of grain will absorb approximately 1 gallon of wort, so you can plan on 2 gallons of runnings from the mash.

If your boil volume is, say, 6.5 gallons, that means you'd need 4.5 gallons of sparge water. That's alot of sparge water for 8 pounds of grain, though.

An 8 pound grainbill is a very low amount of grain for a 5 gallon batch and unless you're planning on a very low alcohol batch, I'd look at the grainbill again. With a small grainbill like that, you risk oversparging to get to your volume.

What is your projected beer's OG and ABV?

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I cheat ... I don't have the mind to make all the calculations my fellow homebrewers can!

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
rgarry

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonk
I cheat ... I don't have the mind to make all the calculations my fellow homebrewers can!

That's what I do. Wouldn't say it's cheating, just getting some help

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I just strike with half the batch size+half the boil off+1 qt per pound grain absorption. I sparge with the other half of the batch size and boil off. This makes both of my two runnings the same size (I single batch sparge.) I will mash with over 2 qt per pound sometimes. I'd get 5.2 gallons of around 1.048 wort from 8 lbs of base malt.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. I do PB/PM BIAB with 5lbs of grains in 2 gallons of water. I sparge with 1.5 gallons at 165-168F to get a total boil volume of 3.5 gallons. Since you're doing AG,are you doing a full boil or partial?
8lbs of grain would be mashed in 3.5-4 gallons of water,so maybe sparge with 2 gallons for full boil volume of 6 gallons?...
Thanks for the answer. I'll do all-grain.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
dfc

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonk View Post

That's exactly what I use.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
In general, you want to use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. So, with your 8 pound grainbill, that's 12 quarts (3 gallons). Water temperature is crucial, as that is what creates your mash temperature. A good quality accurate thermometer is imperative.

How are you sparging? If you're fly sparging or batch sparging, there are some differences.

Either way, you then sparge up to your boil volume.

8 pounds of grain will absorb approximately 1 gallon of wort, so you can plan on 2 gallons of runnings from the mash.

If your boil volume is, say, 6.5 gallons, that means you'd need 4.5 gallons of sparge water. That's alot of sparge water for 8 pounds of grain, though.

An 8 pound grainbill is a very low amount of grain for a 5 gallon batch and unless you're planning on a very low alcohol batch, I'd look at the grainbill again. With a small grainbill like that, you risk oversparging to get to your volume.

What is your projected beer's OG and ABV?
Hey Yooper...thanks for the info...I can see I have to look into tons of things. 1st of all.....can you tell me one thing? If I use 7.5 gallons of water in the mash, 1 gallon gets absorbed and I will have 6.5 gallons of wort for the boiling. Where do I calculate/or how/...the amount that will evaporate from that 6.5 gallons of wort? I want to end up with a 5-gallon batch.

Thanks.