Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking to learn grain flavors fast

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
brewmeister13
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Looking to learn grain flavors fast

I am thinking of doing a "pico" mash (not sure if there is a term so I am making one up) to learn new grains.

My plan is to mash 76 g of grain in 1 cup of water (the same ratio as 1.5qts/lb) in a small pan on the stove to get to know the flavors of specific grains. Then I plan on doing mixtures to see how different flavors interact.

My question is do I need to do a full 60 min mash or can I just hold temp until the starches have fully converted? Also, will this give me a general idea of the flavors to expect or am I just wasting my time and energy? I'd love some more experienced brewers input on this plan and would especially love to hear from anyone who has tried something similar.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I don't know how much you will be able to learn from this. I have a tough time making much sense out of the flavor of my wort; I think the sweetness overpowers my palate. My OG samples all taste pretty similar to me even though the finished beers end up very different.

People Like This 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 495 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Neat idea but the interaction of grain/hop/water/yeast can produce can and will change dramatically with the addition or subtraction of any. I am a big follower of my nose sniffing grains can give you an idea. Make a 5 gallon batch then separate into 5 1 gallon and give them each a different yeast. You'll be amazed how different each turns out. This is actually one of the things I love is the testing and tweaking of recipes, have fun and good luck

Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Nomad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer
Neat idea but the interaction of grain/hop/water/yeast can produce can and will change dramatically with the addition or subtraction of any. I am a big follower of my nose sniffing grains can give you an idea. Make a 5 gallon batch then separate into 5 1 gallon and give them each a different yeast. You'll be amazed how different each turns out. This is actually one of the things I love is the testing and tweaking of recipes, have fun and good luck
I agree. I think you've got to have fermentation and carbonation to get a good sample. I encourage you to test and taste more, though. I love to cook, and it's much easier to learn ingredient flavor in food. I just recently started down this path to learn the grain flavors better myself. I've made three different 1 gallon beers with just 2 row and one grain: crystal 60, crystal 120, or Munich. Hopped to about 23 ibus. I've been putting off bottling the small amounts, but I will soon and I look forward to learning the flavors better.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Walk into LHBS, munch on a grain or two from each bin that interests you. A good shop will encourage it.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I eat grains all the time. Agree with the others making a tea and drinking it won't help much. Now, making a small tea, adding a very neutral yeast, and tasting that beer might be interesting.

Why does Happy Hour limit happiness to 1/24 of the day?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
brewmeister13
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Make a 5 gallon batch then separate into 5 1 gallon and give them each a different yeast. You'll be amazed how different each turns out.
I'm looking forward to experimenting with yeast. I have a bunch of growlers and used them to play with an Arrogant Bastard Clone. I dry hopped one, added a hop tea to another, oaked a third and bottled the rest plain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Walk into LHBS, munch on a grain or two from each bin that interests you. A good shop will encourage it.
Mine definitely allows it. I was hoping to formulate a Russian Imperial Stout though and am interested in the balance of flavors when mixed. I've pegged a basic starting point through research, but was hoping to expedite the fine tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
Now, making a small tea, adding a very neutral yeast, and tasting that beer might be interesting.
I may have to do this. If I can find bungs to fit in bottles I may brew a bunch of bottle size batches at once, ferment and carbonate in the same bottle and then sample them.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
JR_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 75

This was recently a topic on Basic Brewing Radio. In summary, a homebrewer brewed up a very simple pale ale, and added a specialty grain tea to each individual pint. However, he used only specialty grains. Not sure it will will work with a base malt/mash; mash chemistry will complicate things, but it might be worth a try.

Quote:
March 7, 2013 - Zot's Specialty Grain Experiment
Zot O'Connor joins us to talk about his experiment in adding specialty grains to a finished beer to taste the effects.

Planned - GP/Mosaic SMaSH
Fermenting - Ned's Red (Flanders Red Ale), Saison Graf, Tangerine Mead
Bottled - Belgian Tripel, Belgo Graf, Saison (split batch with brett), Black 13 (Graf Porter), Old Style Amer. Cream Ale, Amber Graf, Wheat Graf, Bannockburn Wee Heavy, Berry Mead

Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
GASoline71
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Wort tastes like crap to me... I like the end product much better.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
Nomad Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
BottleItUp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've made teacup sized mashes before on all of my grains. Personally, I chill them to about 55F before tasting them, and can definitely taste the differences, but to each their own.