Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 1st Lager underway....

Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
GIusedtoBe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st Lager underway....

At least I hope so. I pitched a pretty big starter. It's a Pilsner Urquell from AHBS that I could'nt resist throwing a cup of extra DME in so it came out at 1.054.

The instructions say ferment for 10 days and then warm up for 2 days for a diacetyl rest and then lager at 40 F for 3-4 weeks.

I've read that these lagers should ferment for 2-3 weeks and then lager at lower temps around 35 F.

What say you lager experts?

BTW Yooper Chick or the poster formerly known as "Yooper Chick", I pitched a ferment temp starter to a ferment temp wort just like you said so I'll blame you if this thing does'nt work out.

Anyway I'm just thrilled to be brewing a lager but it will stink if it does'nt turn out. Waiting two months for crappy beer is not my idea of fun.

Regards,
Al

Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have my 5L starter going for my first lager this weekend and have just started to research what times and temp to use myself.

John Palmer on Lager

Old 10-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
pete3
Recipes 

is a oatmeal stout a lager?

Old 10-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3
is a oatmeal stout a lager?

Naw! Stouts are ales.

Al

Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I'm just now drinking my first two lagers, an Oktoberfest and a Vienna Lager, and they came out great (IMHO).

I would advise taking specific gravity readings to determine when to begin the diacetyl rest instead of a specific number of days. I started my rests when they were both within about 4-5 points of their expected terminal gravity. The rest lasted 3-4 days, I think, then I brought them down to about 40 deg. F., racked into kegs, then conditioned at 34 deg. F. for about 5 weeks.

By doing the diacetyl rest close to the end of fermentation, you are ensuring a complete fermentation (as well as reduction of diacetyl) before lagering, so you don't need to do a lagering at 40... just go right to 34. I only paused at 40 so I could rack into kegs.

They taste great. Will be drinking a bunch of them today at my alma mater's homecoming!

Hope this helps, even though I am not a lager expert! I read various sources, and how I conducted everything was based on my best understanding.

-Steve