Bachelor party...it was awesome - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Bachelor party...it was awesome

Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Sammy86
Still thirsty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Connecticut
Liked 226 Times on 187 Posts

Dear Brewers,

I write this letter to you tonight after my first bachelor party...that's right I said first! My old man is one of five and they(meaning my Dad and his four brothers) collectively decided to take me out this evening and celebrate their favorite son/nephew and his marriage in six weeks!

We talked about everything tonight including beer, which led to a very interesting conversation...they know nothing about beer!

One of my uncles actually tried to tell me that Heineken is what real men drink and all that Other stuff is girlie! I literally thought my brother was going to choke him out! The Restaraunt we went too had an exceptionally poor beer selection and our waiter tried unsuccessfully to describe the benefits of drinking BMC, I just shook my head in disgust.

Now, I know that some people just like to drink BMC and I respect that but saying the beer I like is girlie is just not called for! I tried explaining to my misguided uncle that beer comes in all colors, flavors and styles but it was like talking to brick wall!

My question to you folks, is how do you deal with it? I love my uncles and dad more than anything and we all enjoy busting each others balls, but on this night couldn't I get one night where I don't get called a woman for the beer I love?

Is it really too much to ask?
Keg 1:Sully's Shingle Hop IPA
Keg 2: None
Future Brews: Murphy's Law of Kölsch

Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
maynardtl8
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Shrug your shoulders, chuckle inside, and have a beer.

iaefebs Likes This 
Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Keith66

Recipes 

Mar 2013
Placerville, CA
Liked 261 Times on 180 Posts

For open-minded folks, I have taken them to a large, well-stocked liquor store (BEVMO) and showed them all the rich "history" of brewing sitting on the shelves, dating back hundreds of years. We buy several different bottles, go home, and find out what they like and don't like. Maybe you'll convert someone from beer-drinker to beer-lover. For the not-so-open-minded, roll your eyes, then RDWHAHB.
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock

Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Stewartsville, NJ
Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts

No offense, but why did they take a beer lover to a place that had a piss poor beer selection? Wasn't this supposed to be YOUR party?
Prim #1: Bronco Tamp
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Bottled:

Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts

My only advice is to not even be concerned about it.

Here's why- my dad appreciated me making great beer and enjoying it, but he actually called my beer 'that homebrewed ****' and made fun of my "fancy beer". One time, he was coming for a visit so I made some cream ale way in advance and lagered it. I created him at the door with a cold one, and he and my brother kicked that keg that day! The next day, they bought some Budweiser since I was out of cream ale since they didn't like anything else. He had a habit of drinking out of the can of his beer, and turning the tab to the side. And then saving it for later if he didn't finish it.

Whenever I went to visit him we would go to a beer bar and I'd get my 'fancy ****' and he'd get a Bud. He laughed about me going to Minneapolis to take my BJCP tasting exam to be a judge, but he was proud underneath.

I got a call on January 3 that he had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away.

I flew down there immediately, arriving about 18 hours after he was found. In the fridge was 1/2 can of beer, with the tab turned. My brother and sister-in-law each grabbed a cheapie can of beer, and held up my dad's unfinished beer and that was the last beer I had with my dad.

Even though he drank beer I don't care for, I will always have those memories have sharing a few beers with my dad at ball games, parties, and while we watched TV.

I would do anything right now to have him back, sitting with me drinking his **** beer.

When you think of it that way, how lucky you are to have 4 uncles and your dad to go out with and support you and drink a beer with them! For that, I'd choke down a half dozen Bud Lights, and call it good.

People Like This 
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3707 Times on 3179 Posts

Both my fathers & mothers are gone. they are def sorely missed. Pop & I were bar room buddies as well,since we both worked at Ford & rode together. So many times I wished he was still here to try my home brew. My buddies were saving their extra money to throw me a batchlor party. My older brother talked them into buying beer & weed to get him & them drunk/stoned. Gee,thanks bro. Friggin A'hole...
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 319 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardtl8 View Post
Shrug your shoulders, chuckle inside, and have a real man's beer.
Fixed that for you
I think a lot of these issues come down to people's understanding of what craft beer is. Yopper said it well when her dad and brother kicked a keg of homebrew cream ale in a day (impressive feat!), when normally they would drink it over their BMC.
With so many fruit wheat beers out there I can see how the uninitiated could be convinced that craft beer is all about hiding the beer flavour behind some fruitiness, and it being a girlie drink because of that.
I suggest you do as Yopper did, maybe brew up a nice cream ale / blonde and give them each a 4 pack as a thank you for taking you out. Just say it is a light beer you brewed that is probably as close to BMC as you would want to go. It might just change their preconcieved ideas about craft.
Unless they are just ragging on you cause is so much fun to rile you up about your "girlie craft/homebrew beer"

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Unless they are just ragging on you cause is so much fun to rile you up about your "girlie craft/homebrew beer"
Yeah, well, my idea of the perfect "girlie beer" is Hoppin' Frog's Triple IPA. Tell them that- they'd faint dead away from the power of the "girlie beer!"

Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
Sammy86
Still thirsty

Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6
No offense, but why did they take a beer lover to a place that had a piss poor beer selection? Wasn't this supposed to be YOUR party?
Their intentions were good, the food was GREAT, the beer not so much, two outta three ain't bad

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
Sammy86
Still thirsty

Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Yes, that's basically it, they enjoy rilling me up...but I had a great time!

Yooper, I am definitely thankful for my Dad and Uncles it's just embarrassing that they don't like the same beer is all, after all I was

Subsailor Likes This