Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why Do You Choose to Homebrew?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Right up until the first batch I thought it was a cheap way to get beer. Now I brew beer for reasons similar to people making gourmet dishes at home. That is, it is a tasty product, I enjoy the process, and I enjoy sharing it with others. Beer has the added advantage of alcohol, no argument it has been important to people since they first tried spoiled grape juice.

And after a while you prefer your home cooking.

Hazelnut milk stout? Sounds delicious. I'm gonna try that, along with the other 50 recipes I want to try.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I love to cook had visions of going to culinary school..... that didn't happen. I love beer and brewing is just an extension of that love to create

Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #23
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac
Hey guys,

I'm a journalist writing an article about the growing trend of home brewing. I'm looking to get a few opinions from people I can quote of why they chose to start brewing beer at home and what they enjoy about it. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
I like to get very hands on with things I like. I like to tinker with things and brewing is one form of this. It also gives me a creative outlet.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
Hawkeye11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleMatt
I brew because I enjoy it. Its part art, part science, and something hand made by me. I never did it to save money, but to have good beer. Our forefathers home brewed so I find it awesome so many people continue that tradition
I second this, my sentiments exactly.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #25
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Beer Faeries. You don’t mess with faeries.

Much easier to placate ‘em.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Brewing at home gives me a way to tap into the science and math side of my brain that I really enjoy exercising. I can start with simple calculations of water-to-grain ratios for my mash, or I can dive all the way into adjusting the chemistry of my water to achieve a particular style. Monitoring temperatures; reading specific gravity; experimenting with different methods of hopping for bitterness, flavor, and aroma; even calibrating and logging my equipment . . . for somebody like me who loves playing scientist, brewing is the perfect hobby. At the same time, I get the satisfaction of crafting and creating something. And in the end, I have more beer than I can give away to my (very appreciative) friends.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #27
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 213

I love to cook and brewing is just an extension of that. After you learn the basics, then you can make a recipe that you like. I like the creative part of brewing and just knowing that you made a good recipe and the finished product tastes great is very rewarding. Ther is great satisfaction of serving one of your brews to friends and they really enjoy it.

I just had a couple of friends over today. I knew what she liked and gave her a brew that I thought she would like and she loved it. I gave him a much different brew because I knew what beers he likes and he was so complimentary of the brew I chose for him.

Making a good brew is so much fun and having your friends enjoy them is the frosting on the cake.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #28
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Hi cormac- journalism is difficult, good luck and keep plugging.

There are many articles how to homebrew, I do not recall any about why people do it. It might be interesting. Please post if and where it is published.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #29
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I needed a hobby to combat my horrible job situation and had a interest in craft beer. My wife jokingly said you should brew your own beer. I was off work one day, visitied the local homebrew store, and ended up with a starter equipment kit and Brewers Best ingredient kit. My wife came home from work to find the living room full of my "hobby" and Its been an obscession ever since.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #30
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Cuz its fun to learn a process and then try to control, manipulate and influence everything involved and make something better every time u do it.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild