Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg was carbonated 2 wks, then went flat? (pics)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
JayDubWill's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 452
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Could it be your tasting the stale beer that's been sitting in the beer line? Might explain why the second pour was better tasting.


JayDubWill is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Marysville
Posts: 2,277
Liked 663 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default

Lets start with the basics.

Scrub the inside of the faucet. Maybe you have built up some lacto. Swap the line with another if you have a spare.

Check for leaks everywhere between the tank and the faucet. You could be drawing O2 in somewhere.


__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
thadius856 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 402
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Lets start with the basics.

Scrub the inside of the faucet. Maybe you have built up some lacto. Swap the line with another if you have a spare.

Check for leaks everywhere between the tank and the faucet. You could be drawing O2 in somewhere.
Shouldn't be the beer lines, since they're only 4.75 feet long, but I will check that. The O2 sounds more likely. I've heard people saying on here that O2 makes an acidic taste in the beer? There could definitely be a slow leak somewhere bc the carbonation level in the beer is not consistent. It has been on 10 PSI for 16 days, so it should be done carbing. I'll pressurize the keg and put it in the bathtub after this keg is empty.
spaceyaquarius is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Marysville
Posts: 2,277
Liked 663 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default

In the meantime, spray water on every seal and connection to check the keg for leaks.

I wouldn't say oxidized beer tastes acidic. I think it tastes like the smell of dried sweat, but most people consider it to have a wet cardboard taste, whatever that means.
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
thadius856 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 402
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
In the meantime, spray water on every seal and connection to check the keg for leaks.

I wouldn't say oxidized beer tastes acidic. I think it tastes like the smell of dried sweat, but most people consider it to have a wet cardboard taste, whatever that means.
Yes, it's a little hard to describe the bad taste. It's kind of like a flat taste (while lots of bubbles still exist), and a bitter/acid aftertaste. A good belgian wheat beer leaves a nice citrus/complex taste on the tongue.
spaceyaquarius is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Carlscan26's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 659
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

It may be because you didn't clean the dip tube...i had something similar with my first keg where I didn't scrub it out, just ran water through it. The first glass would be terrible - phenolic/metallic tasting. I took the beer oit assembly apart and recleaned everything Nd it stopped happening.

Did you take the poppits out to clean them? I'd suggest you de pressurize the keg and pull all the components off and clean them well with PBW and a brush, then rinse, starsan and reassemble. Don't forget to sanitize your hands too - I wear disposable vinyl gloves for this.

Cover the openings loosely with starsan sprayed aluminum foil while you're cleaning the parts.
Carlscan26 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #17
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 402
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26 View Post
It may be because you didn't clean the dip tube...i had something similar with my first keg where I didn't scrub it out, just ran water through it. The first glass would be terrible - phenolic/metallic tasting. I took the beer oit assembly apart and recleaned everything Nd it stopped happening.

Did you take the poppits out to clean them? I'd suggest you de pressurize the keg and pull all the components off and clean them well with PBW and a brush, then rinse, starsan and reassemble. Don't forget to sanitize your hands too - I wear disposable vinyl gloves for this.

Cover the openings loosely with starsan sprayed aluminum foil while you're cleaning the parts.
Well, I didn't clean the dip tube. I replaced the upper o-rings. I couldn't get the tube out last time I tried. I'll start over and clean out the tube. What is PBW?
spaceyaquarius is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #18
Walking_Target
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Peterborough, ON
Posts: 228
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Powdered Brewery Wash - It's a 5-star chemicals product. Works like a dream.

Star san would break down completely in the presence of anything with a pH of over 5. The phosphoric acid (main ingredient) is neutralized by sugars and the dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid will break down into various pretty innocuous compounds (some of which are yeast food) plus a sulfonated benzene ring, which is pretty much biologically inert.

That's above an beyond the fact that used to the manufacturer's directions, star-san has pretty much no flavor.
__________________
Fermenting - Pomegranate Mead (3g), Acerglyn

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein
Walking_Target is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,467
Liked 6067 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post
Yes, it's a little hard to describe the bad taste. It's kind of like a flat taste (while lots of bubbles still exist), and a bitter/acid aftertaste. A good belgian wheat beer leaves a nice citrus/complex taste on the tongue.
That's probably due to the short lines- the co2 being "knocked" out of suspension.

But I am a bit concerned about not breaking down the keg and cleaning it and sanitizing it. If the diptube doesn't come out, that probably means it's plastered to the post and gummed up with debris. That could be why there are some flavor issues.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #20
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 402
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That's probably due to the short lines- the co2 being "knocked" out of suspension.

But I am a bit concerned about not breaking down the keg and cleaning it and sanitizing it. If the diptube doesn't come out, that probably means it's plastered to the post and gummed up with debris. That could be why there are some flavor issues.
Yeah, I've got to clean it right. I put a wrench on it and hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't budge. This may be a stupid question, but would WD-40 on it help get it off there?


spaceyaquarius is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbonated & Then Flat Beer? (photos) spaceyaquarius Bottling/Kegging 11 02-01-2014 09:55 AM
Over carbonated and flat fromhereon Bottling/Kegging 12 08-05-2013 06:04 AM
adding flat beer to carbonated keg? Desrever Bottling/Kegging 3 09-24-2012 12:14 AM
Some carbonated and some flat willbgott General Beer Discussion 6 10-25-2011 09:15 PM
Taking carbonated keg off co2... will it go flat? BoxofRain Bottling/Kegging 15 03-16-2011 12:39 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS