Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > wilserbrewer BIAB Bags, Triple Play Value Combo

Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
GatorBru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Received my custom bag in record time, and it fits my kettle perfectly! Can't wait to do biab once I get my hands on some yeast today. Thanks for the quick ship and order fill, way faster than expected and product looks great!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
YNOT2K
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My "Triple Play" was put to use this past Sunday - my first eBIAB brew day on my brand new brew system.
The grain bag and hop bag - as advertised, both work perfectly, no issues whatsoever.
The ratchet pulley system - not great, but works. The problem for me is that i have attached the ratchet section to an eye hook in my garage ceiling - about 9' above the floor. I can't reach the release button to lower it back down without a step stool. I guess it would be the same with any ratchet type pulley, no? It does work well for what it is and for $5 shipped it's good bang for your buck. FYI i had a 23# grain bill and the pulley had no problem lifting the SS basket with grain bag out of the wort.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 15

YNOT2K,

Glad you had a succesful brew day with your triple play combo. I posted a little helpful hint on my site for using the ratchet pulley. (see photo below) It seems counterintuitive, but is actually a great help at handling a bag of hot grain. Do not install the pulley up high above the bag, but rather attach the pulley at the bag. Lift the bag / pulley with one hand, and pull up on the hoist rope with the other hand...works a treat. Agreed, these are small little pulleys, but at 75 lb rated load they can handle rather large grain bills, and with a practiced technique, they work quite well IMHO. With the pulley down low, the ratchet mechanism is also easily within reach, try it, it makes all the difference.
Thanks!
wilserbrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOT2K View Post
It does work well for what it is and for $5 shipped it's good bang for your buck.
Well, since you went for the value combo, the hop bag and pulley were only $4 each shipped...damn that sound sounds inexpensive, I better have a word with the corporate accountant
wilserbrewer

Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Got my bag and pulley last night, and they looked great! I didn't get to try it out in my pot yet, because I'm soaking the pot in cleaner at the moment, but I will try it out when I get home tonight. So far a very satisfied customer!

(Also kind of thinking I should have got the triple play with a hop bag as well!)
Ready to Keg: Jamil's Blonde Ale
Primary: BierMuncher's OctoberFAST Ale
On Deck: Really want to do a nice Irish Red Ale, a new wheat ale, a pilsner, and another pale ale with some different hops than I've used before.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot
Got my bag and pulley last night, and they looked great! I didn't get to try it out in my pot yet, because I'm soaking the pot in cleaner at the moment, but I will try it out when I get home tonight. So far a very satisfied customer!

(Also kind of thinking I should have got the triple play with a hop bag as well!)
I can ship you a hop bag on the cheap...PM sent

Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
YNOT2K
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
YNOT2K,

Glad you had a succesful brew day with your triple play combo. I posted a little helpful hint on my site for using the ratchet pulley. (see photo below) It seems counterintuitive, but is actually a great help at handling a bag of hot grain. Do not install the pulley up high above the bag, but rather attach the pulley at the bag. Lift the bag / pulley with one hand, and pull up on the hoist rope with the other hand...works a treat. Agreed, these are small little pulleys, but at 75 lb rated load they can handle rather large grain bills, and with a practiced technique, they work quite well IMHO. With the pulley down low, the ratchet mechanism is also easily within reach, try it, it makes all the difference.
Thanks!
wilserbrewer

Well, since you went for the value combo, the hop bag and pulley were only $4 each shipped...damn that sound sounds inexpensive, I better have a word with the corporate accountant
wilserbrewer
i used this method and found that it take LOTS more force to lift the basket/bag.
you are pulling UP rather than DOWN (not nearly as easy if you're just pulling up on the cord - you NEED to be lifting the basket/bag with one hand and cinching the rope with the other).

Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

YNOT2K,

I agree, the pulley can be utilized up top as well, my personal preference is to secure the pulley down low to the bag, especially when one needs to release the ratchet lock, I just prefer not to be releasing the tension on the grain bag while on a stepladder. I have done grain bills up to 35 lbs and have found the pulleys to be a great asset and a very cost effective tool.

Also, with larger batches, it helps to SLOWLY hoist the bag out of the pot and let it drain as it exits the kettle, the bag will be much lighter as you are not lifting gallons of wort. I would guess I spend 2-3 minutes slowly hoisting a 35 lb monster grain bill. It should be noted that these techniques are mainly for larger batches of ten plus gallons or grain bills above 20 lbs...for an average 5 gallon batch, hoisting a bag should be childs play.

Thanks and cheers!
wilserbrewer

Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
427Cobra
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I recently received 2 bags from wilserbrewer and they are fantastic! I just used them this weekend to do my first BIAB brew (70% efficiency !!). The bags worked great.

Dealing with wilserbrewer has also been awesome! All my emails to him with many questions were answered immediately no matter what time of day. I purchased on a Monday and they shipped Tuesday! Can't beat that.

Highly recommend!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
ten80
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 27

First brew with my Wilserbrewer bag this weekend and hit over 80% efficiency with 12lbs grain in 10 gal water, stirring the mash twice, and without any lauter/sparging. Bag works great and I even forgot to take out the hop bag which was stirred vigorously into the mash but survived just fine

thanks!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #20
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Maybe your on to something ten80, stirring that hop bag into the mash might be the key, soon everyone will be doing it

Happy you had success!