Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast immobilization: magic beans of fermentation

Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #361
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1298 Times on 850 Posts
Likes Given: 146

K-K-K-K-K-K-K-Kathmandu?

If I ever get out of here...

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2
MalFet Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #362
Titan88
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Completely random question, but could this be done with flavorless gelatin? Additionally, wouldn't this be good for those of us who don't have the space/funds for ferm temp control? If the yeast can only ferment at the pace the solution passes through the membrane, temp shouldn't get out of control, right?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 AM   #363
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1321 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan88 View Post
Completely random question, but could this be done with flavorless gelatin? Additionally, wouldn't this be good for those of us who don't have the space/funds for ferm temp control? If the yeast can only ferment at the pace the solution passes through the membrane, temp shouldn't get out of control, right?
I don't have much experience with gelatin, but I've never seen it get as firm as these beads are. They really feel like a plastic polymer of some sort. I have to imagine that gelatin would become a soupy mess.

Your speculation on temperatures sounds plausible, but really I have no idea. Based on my experiences, I'm confident that these beads will ferment beer, but everything beyond that is just a guess.

I will do more experimenting at some point, but it might be a while! Right now, my nearest homebrew show is thousands of miles away, so I'm not able to do much until I get around to figuring out how to malt my own barley.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #364
NJbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

came across this,
https://squareup.com/market/ruckus-fermentation

Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #365
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJbeer View Post
Cider in 48 hours?! That seems very hard to believe.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #366
geoffey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
That's the same guy/guys from the MuPor thread, fyi. Looks like they finally got a business together. But what's disappointing is the lack of information in terms of "how it works". I can't even find what their yeast strand is they are using.

Did anyone out there ever finish their own experiments with the technique Malfet outlined in the OP? I know someone was going to try this with some Brett strains, I'd be very interested in those results.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #367
NJbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffey View Post
That's the same guy/guys from the MuPor thread, fyi. Looks like they finally got a business together. But what's disappointing is the lack of information in terms of "how it works". I can't even find what their yeast strand is they are using.

Did anyone out there ever finish their own experiments with the technique Malfet outlined in the OP? I know someone was going to try this with some Brett strains, I'd be very interested in those results.
was that thread deleted?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #368
geoffey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
was that thread deleted?
Yes. From what I recall they posted on here originally asking for some members of HBT to volunteer to try a new fermentation technology. They weren't very forthcoming about details when asked. Then it turned into a kickstarter campaign and they were asking people for money here out of the blue.

Or something like that. The OP (if you read this thread) insisted that as he never had any info on what the Mupor technology was and therefore wasn't able to speculate on whether or not the experiments detailed in this thread were at all related.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #369
cjgenever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Yeast stand up to acid relatively well, which is the principle behind acid washing.
Starsan absolutely destroys yeast. The detergent opens up the cell to allow the acid in.That is how starsan kills, it's not just acid.
boydster Likes This 
Old 07-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #370
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgenever View Post
Starsan absolutely destroys yeast. The detergent opens up the cell to allow the acid in.That is how starsan kills, it's not just acid.
I remember someone posting they thought StarSan was a fraud because it didn't kill his yeast.