Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast immobilization: magic beans of fermentation
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #291
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
 
thatjonguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnow, North Dakota
Posts: 3,652
Liked 709 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 390

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norselord View Post

Forcecarbing by definition means carbon dioxide, which forms carboxyllic acid, at STP N2 shouldn't affect the process. Question is: how much gas, at what cost, and at whatntemp?
I should have worded that better. If one were to use CO2 to push it around wouldn't there be a risk of overcarbing?


__________________
"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS
The biggest argument against using UPS is the fact that a UPS employee sent me a package using FedEx.
thatjonguy is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #292
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,712
Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norselord View Post

Forcecarbing by definition means carbon dioxide, which forms carboxyllic acid, at STP N2 shouldn't affect the process. Question is: how much gas, at what cost, and at whatntemp?
Dissolved carbon dioxide creates carbonic acid, not carboxylic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjonguy View Post

I should have worded that better. If one were to use CO2 to push it around wouldn't there be a risk of overcarbing?
It depends entirely on what the overall system pressure is. Something like a spunding valve will bleed any excess pressure (and thus CO2) out into the room.


emjay is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #293
Norselord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 158
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Dissolved carbon dioxide creates carbonic acid, not carboxylic.


It depends entirely on what the overall system pressure is. Something like a spunding valve will bleed any excess pressure (and thus CO2) out into the room.
I stand corrected -- the way to get carboxyic acid into your beer is to let it oxidize.
Norselord is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #294
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,026
Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Sub-ed...
DPBISME is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #295
crushingblackdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 177
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Hey MalFet, any tasting notes yet?
Proud of your work! Looking forward to finished product evaluations...

Definately the most interesting thread I've read on HBT for a while. I can see this becoming a new branch on the home brewer's
MacGuyver Tree of Brilliance & (not so brilliant).
crushingblackdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #296
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,297
Liked 1279 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingblackdoom View Post
Hey MalFet, any tasting notes yet?
Proud of your work! Looking forward to finished product evaluations...
Yep! Check out post #199.
__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin
MalFet is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #297
brant740
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Since the yeast beads will not add much flavor I was thinking about making beads of turbo yeast to add after the initial growth period of the primary bead-less yeast. Would this allow the flavors we want from the yeast plus rapid cleanup an maturation of the beer?

Edit: Just remembered turbo yeast wouldnt stop at the same point as the other yeast so it would probably end up dryer than desired.
brant740 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #298
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,297
Liked 1279 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant740 View Post
Since the yeast beads will not add much flavor I was thinking about making beads of turbo yeast to add after the initial growth period of the primary bead-less yeast. Would this allow the flavors we want from the yeast plus rapid cleanup an maturation of the beer?
For what it's worth, I don't actually agree with the idea that the use of beads removes all yeast character from the equation, and I think my experimental results demonstrate that. Certainly it's different than a baseline ferment, but it's not non-existent.
__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin
MalFet is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #299
brant740
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post

For what it's worth, I don't actually agree with the idea that the use of beads removes all yeast character from the equation, and I think my experimental results demonstrate that. Certainly it's different than a baseline ferment, but it's not non-existent.
Didn't you have some hitch hikers in that batch? Have you reused the beads yet?
brant740 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #300
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,297
Liked 1279 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant740 View Post
Didn't you have some hitch hikers in that batch? Have you reused the beads yet?
I've done a few parallel batches in different arrangements now, though nothing comprehensive yet. In my opinion, it's much too early to be making many conclusions.


__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin
MalFet is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding coffe beans during second fermentation?? kzhilton Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 03-23-2012 07:19 PM
Wild Yeast or Magic? Tarheel4985 Fermentation & Yeast 10 12-21-2010 12:45 AM
Found the 'Magic' in 'Magic Chef' - keezer progress, questions MadDwarf Kegerators and Keezers 66 12-09-2010 04:41 PM
magic chef for fermentation fridge? jigidyjim Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-04-2010 03:48 PM
adding coffee beans in secondary fermentation ameadrat General Beer Discussion 14 06-14-2008 03:17 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS