Natural Gas Burners for my build..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run NG on my setup and did a lot of research before I settled on a modified BG14. Those jet burners put out a hell of a lot of heat, but they aren't adjustable. They are also notorious for sooting up.

I suggest buying a BG14, drilling out the orifice to 1/8" and adding a ball valve to control the flame. I have 3 on my setup and they work very nicely!

I plan on using keggels..

When you say these jet burners are not adjustable - What do you mean? I was going to add a ball adjust to adjust.

So the BG14 is normally propane? Or whats the reason for drilling out the orfice?

Thanks!!

I plan on using keggels..

When you say these jet burners are not adjustable - What do you mean? I was going to add a ball adjust to adjust.

So the BG14 is normally propane? Or whats the reason for drilling out the orfice?

Thanks!!

NG and Propane use different orfice size.

I have burned NG and then converted to propane as I moved from one house to another and had to adapt.

I use converted kegs and am always concerned about the gas build up trapped and lingering below the kettle. The blow back has singed the hair of my knuckles more that once. Be careful when lighting is all I am saying.

IMHO you want to be able to control the gas input as much as possible with both the pressure and the volume of the gas output. You only need that burner to heat the bottom of the kettle and not the outside of it.

The problem with the jet burners is that the way the jets are designed they require a decent amount of gas flowing through them to pull in the proper amount of air (incorrect gas-air mix causes soot). So if you try to turn them down, you'll most likely get a sooty bottom. The workaround to this problem is to cap off a couple of the jets to reduce the output. There's nothing wrong with the jet burners, but IMHO the BG14s give you a lot more flexibility in your design and use.

BG14 burners are designed to run on propane. The pressure of propane is a lot higher than NG, so you have to drill the orifice out to reduce the pressure drop into the burner. The reason these 'banjo' style burners are more adjustable is that there are more jets coming out, and they're much smaller as well. The small flame can just pull the required oxygen from the surrounding air (plus the air intake). The bigger jet burners aren't able to pull the necessary amount of oxygen from the surrounding air,so they have a small venturi setup that pulls air in at the base of the jet.

Hope this helps!

I suggest buying a BG14, drilling out the orifice to 1/8" and adding a ball valve to control the flame. I have 3 on my setup and they work very nicely!

I also Have 3 and helped a friend build a stand with 2. Drilled out to 1/8"
they work awesome. Make sure you make your manifold at least a 1/2''.
Here is the best prices.

This does help! Thanks! SO order these.. drill out the to 1/8 inch to run NG, add a ball valve, and use 1/2 gas (min of) pipe.

Sound like I Got it?

Is it obvious where I need to drill?

This does help! Thanks! SO order these.. drill out the to 1/8 inch to run NG, add a ball valve, and use 1/2 gas (min of) pipe.

Sound like I Got it?

Is it obvious where I need to drill?

Yep, sounds like you got it. The orifice you need to drill out is the brass piece that connects your gas line to the burner. Looks like this-
31CpFwfbQ9L._SY300_.jpg

Here's a pic that shows the hole size difference between high pressure LP (left) and NG/low pressure (right)-
43792d1326677692-bg-14-high-pressure-converted-low-pressure-img_1601.jpg

FWIW, 1/8" is kind of an average, and depending on your exact gas pressure you may find that you need a slightly different size orifice for optimal performance. Start small and work your way up, since it's much easier to enlarge the hole than it is to shrink it. I started with a wire size 35 drill bit, and ended up working my way up to a size 29, which is a couple steps larger than 1/8".

Also, depending on where you live the shipped price from agrisupply may not be the best. They have pretty high shipping charges to the west coast, and total shipped price here in AZ was actually cheaper through Amazon.

Awesome - thanks for the help! I'll start small and work up - Thanks for the advice..

Yeah, shipping prices were high, but still cheapest location I could find - already ordered em up!

Last question - Any suggestions on how much room there should be between burner and kettle.. I have not built my stand so now is my chance to make it right :)

thanks for helping a nube!

I have been using NG for almost two years. I have 23 jets wok burner with 10jets pluged, with 13 running i have to reduce gas flow to maybe 30-40% during boil. Jets are 6in from the bottom of the keg
. Btw i love NG

So about to make my manifold for these burners. For natural gas did you use any type of regulator (short of a valve to adjust flame) ?

And same question for propane - If I kept these as is - Don't I need a regulator between line and tank?

Thanks!
Mike

Natural gas is regulated coming into your home, so you just need to figure out how much to drill out the orifice. Make sure your manifold is at LEAST 1/2"
Propane is high pressure and needs to be regulated from the tank.
If you look am my profile I have a Pic. of my stand and how I ran lines.

Yep, sounds like you got it. The orifice you need to drill out is the brass piece that connects your gas line to the burner. Looks like this-
31CpFwfbQ9L._SY300_.jpg

Here's a pic that shows the hole size difference between high pressure LP (left) and NG/low pressure (right)-
43792d1326677692-bg-14-high-pressure-converted-low-pressure-img_1601.jpg

FWIW, 1/8" is kind of an average, and depending on your exact gas pressure you may find that you need a slightly different size orifice for optimal performance. Start small and work your way up, since it's much easier to enlarge the hole than it is to shrink it. I started with a wire size 35 drill bit, and ended up working my way up to a size 29, which is a couple steps larger than 1/8".

Also, depending on where you live the shipped price from agrisupply may not be the best. They have pretty high shipping charges to the west coast, and total shipped price here in AZ was actually cheaper through Amazon.

If 1/8'' is average, any idea what the commercial one on the right is?

Back