Expensive Shipping! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Expensive Shipping!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
jdd120
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 57


So SWMBO came uo with the idea last night of a Christmas beer that we could hand out as gifts.

Great idea, I am a lucky man.

So I just started and don't have enough equipment. With a batch just bottled, and new batch in the primary.

I need another fermenter, and bottles which we can send off never to be seen again.

I live in a small town, miles and miles away from my LHBS. I went to all the major online guys and can't find anything for less then 60 bucks shipping!

Does anyone know anywhere that I can order a couple of cases of 12 oz. bottles an ale pail, and a carboy and not pay an arm and a frickin leg?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
talleymonster
 
talleymonster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Posts: 2,142
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts


60 bucks is about right. I just priced it out on Austin Homebrew and it looks like:

  • 5 Gallon Carboy 24$
  • 6.7 Gallon Bucket fermenter w lid 16$
  • 1 Case 12oz Bottles 14$
  • 5.99 flat rate shipping
right about 60$
__________________


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,330
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


You should post where you live in your profile. There might be someone in your area willing to help.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
jdd120
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
You should post where you live in your profile. There might be someone in your area willing to help.
Sorry!!

Should have done that already.

There is a good store in Flagstaff I think, but that's a good six hour hike.

Talley, is there a LHBS in Vegas? I tried to look one up last time I was there. I spend quite a bit of time there for work.

I found something online that said the only store switched to Hydroponics or somethign cause he couldn't make any money.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
talleymonster
 
talleymonster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Posts: 2,142
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd120
Sorry!!

Should have done that already.

There is a good store in Flagstaff I think, but that's a good six hour hike.

Talley, is there a LHBS in Vegas? I tried to look one up last time I was there. I spend quite a bit of time there for work.

I found something online that said the only store switched to Hydroponics or somethign cause he couldn't make any money.

The guys who run the "HBS" here are a bunch of ass fags. They had some plastic bottles the last time I was there, no glass. No Carboys. I think they had buckets. I'm afraid that they will be unable to answer ANY questions you may have about brewing beer.

But if you want to grow weed in your closet they can help!



My sister lives in Flasgstaff and she tells me they have a store there, although I have never been there. They have to be better than the Vegas store. I actually have boycotted them!
__________________


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TexLaw's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,670
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts


Get a Better Bottle, instead of a glass carboy. The price is right about the same.


TL
__________________
Beer is good for anything from hot dogs to heartache.

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
neckbone
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Posts: 143

1 case Sam Adams = $24.
Shipping = free
Total = $24

1 case empty bottles = $14
Shipping $5.99
Total = $19.99

Get great bottles and then pay $4.01 for 288oz of pretty good beer.
__________________
Primary: Nada
Secondary: Squat
Bottled: Nut Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
Beerrific
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Georgia
Posts: 5,562
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts


Austin Homebrew Supply offers flat $5.99 shipping.

Northern Brewer is doing flat $5.99 shipping through the middle of October. Probably take 2-3 days.

MoreBeer does free shipping on orders over $59. I know all that stuff probably won't come out to more than $59 but you could always buy some stuff you are going to need down the road.

Was it shipping cost that was the problem? Or cost of the stuff to begin with?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
Funkenjaeger
 
Funkenjaeger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Nashua, NH
Posts: 1,598
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by neckbone
Get great bottles and then pay $4.01 for 288oz of pretty good beer.
I second that. Paying any significant amount of money for bottles seems like a total waste of money when for not much more you could be getting lots of beer with them.
Around here, I can drop by my local bottle redemption place and they'll sell me returned bottles for 8 cents apiece, and I can pick and choose to make sure I get all "normal" bottles (standard size/shape/no twistoffs/no impossible-to-remove labels/etc). Haven't needed to yet, because like many, I buy enough commercial beer from time to time to build up a bottle stock anyway. Sure, removing labels isn't all that fun, but it's not all that bad either.

I'm not a giant fan of the sam adams bottles in particular, since they have their logo on the glass, but I still don't hesitate to use them if that's what I have on hand.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Dycokac
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjäger
I second that. Paying any significant amount of money for bottles seems like a total waste of money when for not much more you could be getting lots of beer with them.
Around here, I can drop by my local bottle redemption place and they'll sell me returned bottles for 8 cents apiece, and I can pick and choose to make sure I get all "normal" bottles (standard size/shape/no twistoffs/no impossible-to-remove labels/etc). Haven't needed to yet, because like many, I buy enough commercial beer from time to time to build up a bottle stock anyway. Sure, removing labels isn't all that fun, but it's not all that bad either.

I'm not a giant fan of the sam adams bottles in particular, since they have their logo on the glass, but I still don't hesitate to use them if that's what I have on hand.
I personally do not return any non-twist cap bottles, except for heinekin (my capper wont do a good cap) or Warsteiner and like 2 other brands. I probably have 3 5 gallon batches worth of bottles by now

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why so expensive? JamieT Equipment/Sanitation 58 01-22-2009 06:39 AM
Think it's too expensive to get into AG? Gonefishing All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 12-14-2008 02:12 AM
Gas is expensive, But WTF? wildwest450 Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 4 09-17-2008 07:16 AM
EF just got more expensive ohiobrewtus Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 6 12-29-2007 02:09 AM
Bargains get expensive Bobby_M Equipment/Sanitation 22 01-24-2007 01:51 PM


Forum Jump