Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Rochester Mills Big Brew Day

Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Default Rochester Mills Big Brew Day

Anybody else going?

I'm signed up even though I don't have the equipment for an outdoor brew day. Whoever is in charge set me up to brew on somebody else's rig. A big thank you to whoever volunteered to share equipment.

I'll have a corny of my Rye Bitter as well as a cooler full of some other brews to share.

I'm planning on brewing a belgian dubbel.

Winner gets their beer brewed on the Mills' big rig and distributed to bars/restaurants around the state. Should be fun.

Bottled - Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans - Kegged - Calypso Pale Ale; BBD Belgian Malty Ale

Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'll be brewing there, but doubtful I'll be entering the competition. I'm brewing an english barleywine not sure it will be ready in 5 weeks...

Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
signpost
Recipes 

Yeah, 5 weeks might be a little too quick for that one. But hey, free base malt. Good timing for a barley wine.
Bottled - Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans - Kegged - Calypso Pale Ale; BBD Belgian Malty Ale

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
mors
Recipes 

Should be a really quick brew day. You're using water that is already roughly 180F, chilling with water that is near freezing, etc... The free malts are limited so I'm having to 'simulate' my marris otter.... but I'll take it since all I have to do is bring about 1lb of specialty malts.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
jdebrick
Recipes 

I just got my confirmation email. I had a few questions for anyone that has done this before. Is the provided grain already milled, and is the hot water provided filtered or tap?

Either way it should be a fun day!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
mors
Recipes 

I didn't do it last year....but I'm assuming it is milled. There was no specification for people to bring mills so I wouldn't worry about that. The hot water provided is from their main tank... it's the same water they use for brewing so it is filtered. They also will be providing cold water for cooling (near freezing).

Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
mofoblaster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Looking forward to this!! I converted to electric and have been brewing in my basement so it will be a nice opportunity to pull out the old rig and brew outside. Hope I can find everything!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
biggc1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I went last year and it was a blast! !! Can't wait for Saturday. ..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #9
signpost
Recipes 

I got my yeast starter going today (not using their house yeast). I'm hoping to step it up tomorrow.

Super excited to meet some more local homebrewers. We should come up with a way to ID fellow HBTers. What do you all think?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
mors
Recipes 

OK we go into the bathroom and tap our feet under the stall door.... Wait that's already used..

I'll be wearing a grey CRAFT button up with 'Dan' on the front

Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"