Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What is the difference between Slanting yeast and getting yeast from the fermenter?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,150
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default What is the difference between Slanting yeast and getting yeast from the fermenter?

I am wondering what the difference is between the 2 methods.

Basically, I'd like to know what they are good for. Collecting yeast from a previous fermentation is simply using the yeast at the bottom for further, additional fermentations, but I have no clue what slanting does.

Thanks.


Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
rjsnau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 214
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Slanting is used for long term storage of yeast. 9 months to a year. But you are only saving a very small amount f yeast on the slant so you have to build it up in several generations of starters. It is more work and more chance for an infection but you can go several months between uses of yeast vs repitching or just saving the yeast is only Said to last a few weeks. You can also use a slant to creat a new slant to give to a friend or extend the life further. It is a lot of work though to save $8 and I only do it for limited release strains.


rjsnau is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,150
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnau View Post
Slanting is used for long term storage of yeast. 9 months to a year. But you are only saving a very small amount f yeast on the slant so you have to build it up in several generations of starters. It is more work and more chance for an infection but you can go several months between uses of yeast vs repitching or just saving the yeast is only Said to last a few weeks. You can also use a slant to creat a new slant to give to a friend or extend the life further. It is a lot of work though to save $8 and I only do it for limited release strains.
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to save the sediment from a fermenter for longer? For 3-4 months....and use it to pitch without suffering less yeast productivity....
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
BlackGoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 739
Liked 78 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to save the sediment from a fermenter for longer? For 3-4 months....and use it to pitch without suffering less yeast productivity....
Some people do save it for longer (read up on yeast washing), but they will lose viability as they age. Depending on how much you save/wash you really should use that yeast to make a yeast starter and not just trust it to be ready to pitch, especially if you're going more than a couple weeks.
__________________
Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat
BlackGoat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,150
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoat View Post
Some people do save it for longer (read up on yeast washing), but they will lose viability as they age. Depending on how much you save/wash you really should use that yeast to make a yeast starter and not just trust it to be ready to pitch, especially if you're going more than a couple weeks.
Thanks for the reply.
Does this mean that I can store washed yeast longer....on condition that I make a starter from it? Making a starter is basically bringing yeast back to life....isnt it?
Elysium is offline
goo-gone Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
454k30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pax River, MD
Posts: 215
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

A starter isn't bringing them back to life perse. It does re-energize the still living yeast cells and gets them to start reproducing again. You will want to do a starter to ensure that you have enough living yeast to pitch, and so you know you aren't just dumping a jar full of dead yeast in your brew.
454k30 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
BlackGoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 739
Liked 78 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454k30 View Post
A starter isn't bringing them back to life perse. It does re-energize the still living yeast cells and gets them to start reproducing again. You will want to do a starter to ensure that you have enough living yeast to pitch, and so you know you aren't just dumping a jar full of dead yeast in your brew.
exactly, a yeast starter is recommended for every batch where you use yeast in any form other than a packet of dry yeast. The starter allows the yeast cells to reproduce to the quantities that are needed to start a healthy fermentation.
__________________
Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat
BlackGoat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
MindenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Carson City, Nv
Posts: 2,014
Liked 285 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

I have been using the same ESB 1968 yeast, since last year. I don't know how many batches I have "recycled" from the original. I don't bother to get all anal retentive about washing the yeast cake. I just get a sterile scoop, a sterile 1qt bottle, and fill it with the yeast cake/trub. I then put it in the fridge and forget about it until I need yeast again. I warm the yeast up to room temperature, add 2 cups of cooled, boiled with sugar water, wait a couple hours, and pitch 2 or 3 cups depending of wort volume. So far 4 hours has been the longest time it it has taken me to see airlock activity.
MindenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,150
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
I have been using the same ESB 1968 yeast, since last year. I don't know how many batches I have "recycled" from the original. I don't bother to get all anal retentive about washing the yeast cake. I just get a sterile scoop, a sterile 1qt bottle, and fill it with the yeast cake/trub. I then put it in the fridge and forget about it until I need yeast again. I warm the yeast up to room temperature, add 2 cups of cooled, boiled with sugar water, wait a couple hours, and pitch 2 or 3 cups depending of wort volume. So far 4 hours has been the longest time it it has taken me to see airlock activity.
Thanks a lot. Good info. I am wondering how much sugar you put in it? I guess just a bit so that it wouldnt affect your wort.
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
MindenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Carson City, Nv
Posts: 2,014
Liked 285 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default How Much Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Thanks a lot. Good info. I am wondering how much sugar you put in it? I guess just a bit so that it wouldnt affect your wort.
To be honest, I just eyeball it. I would say though 1/4 cup of sugar is about it. It' really cool to watch the thick ball of goo from the fridge turn into a very aromatic and busy jar of CO2 bubbles.


MindenMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slanting yeast Saccharomyces Fermentation & Yeast 854 Yesterday 11:52 PM
slanting yeast into beer bottles. Jonathanquist Fermentation & Yeast 3 04-06-2013 03:23 AM
starting Yeast slanting in MA redman67 Fermentation & Yeast 2 01-31-2013 04:51 PM
Frozen Yeast Bank vs. Yeast Slanting shortyjacobs Fermentation & Yeast 11 09-24-2010 07:13 PM
Yeast Slanting Questions - Expired Yeast and Cider DKershner Fermentation & Yeast 5 01-18-2010 05:09 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS