Question about my yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinFromTexas

austinfrom_tx
Reaction score
I created my yeast starter on Monday with the intent to brew on Tuesday, however things came up and I haven't been able to brew until today (Thursday). The starter finished fermenting yesterday but I still left it sitting out at room temperature because I felt it would be fine to use if I brew today. Basically I would like a second opinion on if The yeast will be good to use today or, if not, what would be the best plan of action to get my yeast happy and awake for a brew day in the near future.

Your starter should be fine after only 2 days in room temperature. If for some reason brewdays gets delayed even further stick it in the fridge. Just make sure you have a good seal to keep nasties out. Then on brew day get rid of all but the yeast slurry and just save some of the liquid, just enough to put the yeast in suspension. Let it sit in room temp and bring it up to your pitching temperature. I just did this procedure and had mine sit in room temp for 5 days, fridge for a week and I still had to use blow off tube. Good luck to you

It'll be fine to use as-is. A lot of us will cold crash it for a day or three and decant most of the liquid before pitching the slurry, but it's not required.

Back