Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > party pig?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
mw20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default party pig?

I hate bottling and do not have room for a fridge with cornelius kegs. Anyone tried the party pig?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Heard great things about them, some brew pubs actually sell beer in them... they are a good bet

Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have one.....it works pretty well, though I only used it a few times and moved up into kegging. One problem I had was that the hand pump would not pressurize the "pig" enough to pop the pressurizing packet. If you can't create pressure, the system won't dispense and you're screwed. I actually primed my beer and let it sit for a week, and that created enough pressure to pop the package instead of the pump. If you make sure you get a good seal, and screw the clamps down, it works fine.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
bobida
Recipes 

I bought a pig last month and love it. I don't have the space to keg and this little pig saves a lot of time when bottling. As for popping the pressure pouch, I had to put the rubber pump on the floor and pump it with my foot. It actually tells you this in the included directions. If you are restricted by space I think the pig is a great idea. SWMBO even likes it because of how cool it looks. I like it because I only have to sanitize and put 1 lid on it- a big time saver. I am going to get a couple more and have 3 beers on tap at once- the pig holds about a case, and I usually bottle the other half.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 696 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobida
...the pig holds about a case, and I usually bottle the other half.
I had no idea they were that big.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
mw20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm gonna buy one for now and if I like it , buy 3 more so I can have two batches on tap. Mike

Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
ChemBrew
Recipes 

As a fellow bottler, I'm interested.

I understand that the inflating "pressure pouch" expands to maintain a constant pressure of 15-20 PSI. But that CO2 remains in pouch. If I naturally carbonate my beer, will this system hold that the CO2? for at least a month or two??

I'm not as concerned about not being able to dispense the beer as I am about losing carbonation.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Goin' with the Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemBrew

I understand that the inflating "pressure pouch" expands to maintain a constant pressure of 15-20 PSI. But that CO2 remains in pouch. If I naturally carbonate my beer, will this system hold that the CO2? for at least a month or two??

I'm not as concerned about not being able to dispense the beer as I am about losing carbonation.
One of my homebrew club friends has two of these and bottled a robust porter. I tried it out and asked when he made it.... He said 2 years ago!!! It wasn't flat.

I too was surprised on how big they are when I first saw one.

I'm gonna get one shortly too. I the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy the pouches.

I saw someone here on HBT modified a pig with a chrome tire valve right at 12 o'clock as you face the tap. I searched for it and could not find the post.

Then you throw on one of these. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=4570

I'm thinking of doing this that way I can do nitro on a Pub Ale or a Stout. Hmm makes me thirsty.

This way you can do natural, force carb or pouch. If you force carb you need a tire hose from the regulator.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemBrew

You prime with sugar (half the amount used for bottles) and it holds for months. Hubby usually has one in our fridge that lasts him a long time. We've used them for a couple years and never had a problem. They're very convenient because they fit in a normal fridge and they're portable.

We have 4 ready for an upcoming convention. The convention has a concert and the last couple years we have put the pig in the carrier and off we go with a pile of beer cups. We always take Irish Stout since it's a Irish band and we "refresh" ourselves, guests, and get the band pretty shnockered too.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
ChemBrew
Recipes 

Thanks. Looks like I'll be trying one out in the near future.