Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > skunky beer

Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
psorgatz
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Wheaton, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did an experiment with beer in green bottles, left a bottle of beck's out in light over night, one in light for a half hour, and kept one covered in the box. Within the half hour, you could already pick up skunky flavors, the one left out over night smelled like a cypress hill concert.

Also noticed that its not just sunlight that skunks beer, but artificial light will do it as well.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Jul 2011
New Bern, NC
Liked 328 Times on 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psorgatz View Post
I did an experiment with beer in green bottles, left a bottle of beck's out in light over night, one in light for a half hour, and kept one covered in the box. Within the half hour, you could already pick up skunky flavors, the one left out over night smelled like a cypress hill concert.

Also noticed that its not just sunlight that skunks beer, but artificial light will do it as well.
I read somewhere that fluorescent lights skunk beer but incandescent lights don't. What kind of lights did you use?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #33
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psorgatz View Post

Im still tring to figure out the overnight thing, I didnt know that moonlight could skunk a beer!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #34
forstmeister

Recipes 

May 2011
Chicago, IL
Liked 182 Times on 138 Posts

I have noticed skunking of a good craft beer after only 15 minutes in the sun. I poured the can into a glass. Lesson here: drink canned beer from the can.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
dmashl
Recipes 

Aug 2012
De Pere, Wisconsin
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

Old comforters work too

Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
Red_Scooter
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

http://youtu.be/_YhpauKGgQ4

Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #37
stickboy46

Recipes 

May 2013
, Vermont

I just had a beer come out skunky about two months ago. It was horrible and completely undrinkable. I let it set in the keg for about a month before I tried it again. It got better, and now its at least drinkable. I won't serve it to any of my friends (except the one who likes hiny), but its still beer...

Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #38
schematix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Chesterfield, MO
Liked 504 Times on 282 Posts

Surprising as it is it, it only takes a few minute exposed to direct sunlight to skunk a beer.

Try it for yourself. Buy yourself a 24oz can of Budweiser (or you're favorite lightly hopped macro brew) and pour it into a glass. Take a good sniff and note the lack of almost all aroma (specifically hop/skunk aroma). Leave it outside on a bright summer day for about 10 minutes and take a sniff again. Skunk!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
MorrisBrewingCo

Recipes 

Jul 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedF150 View Post
The fermenters sat on my tool bench in the garage were afternoon sunlight came in direct contact with them every day.
I see two problems:

1. Fermenters in garage means they were not climate control and you are fermenting at a fluctuating temperature.

2. Sun light contact everyday.

Solution:
Put your fermenters inside with a blow off valve (had a carboy explode in my closet) and wrap towels around it securing with a string,bungie,ziptie,etc.
Keg 3: Strong West Coast IPA
Planning for the Spring:
Fermenter 1: Strong Scotch Ale
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #40
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Auckland, NZ
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I've got 99 skunk problems but I can't figure out the source. Removed all my bottles from potential sunlight damage source, and it's not even consistent within a single batch - ie. the first few from this crate were great, but the one I'm having tonight is rank. Refrigerating seems to make it worse?!
Oatmeal Stout, English Strong Ale, Robust Porter, Northern Brown