Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Has anyone tried BYO's Fat Tire Clone?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Has anyone tried BYO's Fat Tire Clone?

I have Wyeast's New Belgium Fat Tire yeast on the way so I decided to plug the recipe into Beersmith and the resulting color came back way too dark. From my experience Beersmith's estimates for color are creepy good so I'm wondering whats going on. The Recipe calls for .5 lbs of chocolate malt, which is something I wouldn't expect in Fat Tire. Also, the color Beersmith gives without the chocolate malt is right on. If anyone has tried this recipe, or another Fat Tire clone recipe I'd love to hear your feed back on the malt bill, and any suggestions in general.

THANKS!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have done the kit that AHS sells with Nottingham yeast. It is very good. I can't get Fat Tire here but brought some back from a trip. SWMBO likes mine better. I have been drinking it and then tried one again last night, it is getting much better with time, probably be great in a couple of months when I drink the last one.

This is the same as the recipe Yooper posted, again from AHS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fat tire.jpg
Views:	1465
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2796

And whatever the color for this recipe gives is spot on. If I could get my beer clear, it would be impossible to tell the difference.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
IndyPABrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer
I have Wyeast's New Belgium Fat Tire yeast on the way so I decided to plug the recipe into Beersmith and the resulting color came back way too dark. From my experience Beersmith's estimates for color are creepy good so I'm wondering whats going on. The Recipe calls for .5 lbs of chocolate malt, which is something I wouldn't expect in Fat Tire. Also, the color Beersmith gives without the chocolate malt is right on. If anyone has tried this recipe, or another Fat Tire clone recipe I'd love to hear your feed back on the malt bill, and any suggestions in general.

THANKS!
I used Yooper Chick's Fat Tire Clone recipe recently. After primary it tasted damn good. I'm bottling it tomorrow, so I'll get another peak at it. I was originally going to use the BYO clone recipe, but I heard a lot of good things about hers. At least check it out. It'll be good to compare/contrast with BYO.

Cheers,

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Ultimate Table Beer
Bottled: The Mothman Barley Wine, Hwart's Bitter
Drinking: Water
On Deck: ???

Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts

The only thing I don't think is on for AHS's version is the hops. I'm not good enough to tell what they should be exchanged for, but I don't think they're the same. It is a good recipe, though. I haven't tried the BYO version, but you can find it here: http://byo.com/recipe/685.html

Quote:
New Belgium's Fat Tire Clone
by Dawnell Smith

New Belgium Brewing Company got underway in 1991 and has since expanded production to 170,000 barrels. The brewery is now run by Peter Bouckaert, who worked as the brewmaster for the famous Rodenbach Brouwerij of Belgium from 1987 to 1996. Bouckaert shies away from handing out recipes, but he agreed to offer a few clues and tips for homebrewers.
When trying to emulate Fat Tire Amber Ale, Bouckaert advises that you pay particular attention to the malt bill and the aging process. "We have a malt character that asks for a lot of light-colored malts," he says. "Specialty, Munich and light caramel malts comprise up to 30 percent. For the signature toasted biscuit flavor of this brown-amber beer, add from 5 to 10 percent of malts with a nutty character." For hops, he recommends shooting for 16 IBUs with a subtle late addition of aroma or dry hops. "Don't use Cascade or other overpowering hops," Bouckaert adds.
As for yeast, Bouckaert suggests using a strain low in esters and other flavor components, like American pale ale yeast (Wyeast 1056 or BrewTek CL-10). Fermentation should take place at the low end of the temperature range. The beer should look clear, have low carbonation and give off a malty, fruity aroma with hints of bread crust. It should leave a toasted flavor on the palate and a subtle hop component for balance.
For more information on New Belgium Brewing Company and its well-regarded beers, go to http://www.newbelgium.com or call (888) NBB-4044 or (970) 221-0524.

Fat Tire Amber Ale
(5 gallons, extract with grains)

Ingredients:

o 5 lbs. Laaglander plain extra-light DME
o 0.50 lb. crystal malt (20 Lovibond)
o 0.50 lb. crystal malt (40 Lovibond)
o 0.50 lb. carapils malt
o 0.50 lb. Munich malt
o 0.50 lb. biscuit malt
o 0.50 lb. chocolate malt
o 3 AAUs Willamette pellet hops (0.66 oz. at 4.5% alpha acid)
o 1.33 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.33 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
o 2 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.50 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
o 1 tsp. Irish moss
o 2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
o Wyeast 1056 or BrewTek CL-10

Step by step:

Steep specialty grains in 3 gallons of water at 154 F for 45 minutes. Remove grains and add dried malt extract. Bring to boil and add 0.66 oz. Willamette pellet hops. Boil for 60 minutes and add Irish moss. Boil 10 minutes and then add 0.50 oz. Fuggle hops. Boil another 20 minutes, add remaining Fuggles and remove from heat. Cool to about 70 F and transfer to fermenting vessel with yeast. Ferment at 64 to 68 F until complete (7 to 10 days), then transfer to a secondary vessel, or rack into bottles or keg with corn sugar. (Try lowering the amount of priming sugar to mimic the low carbonation level of Fat Tire.) Lay the beer down for at least a few months to mellow and mature for best results.
All-grain option: Omit extract and mash 6 lbs. pale malt with specialty malts in 9 quarts of water to get a single infusion mash temperature of 154 F for 45 minutes. Sparge with hot water of 170 F or more to get 5.5 gallons of wort. Bring to boil and use above hopping and fermentation schedule.
OG = 1.050
FG = 1.011
IBUs = 16
Edit - sorry, I didn't see that you had the link. I'll leave it in, in case anyone wants to compare them.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
SternBrau
Recipes 

Default Spot On

I've got this recipe in primary right now, so I can't comment on taste. But, it is definitely a good bit darker than the real thing.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

I am planning on making this recipe this weekend but just realized instead of chocolate malt I mistakenly ordered WHEAT chocolate malt. What effect do you think using this would have on the beer. Would I be better off just leaving it out? Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just perchased Northern Brewer's Clone in an AG package last night with the Fat Tyre Yeast. I am looking forward to brewing this one up.

On Deck Oktoberfest
Primary Simcoe Sevada,Bee Cave Kolsch
Secondary nope
Bottled nope
Kegged Dunkel
On Tap Dunkel

Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

i got the kit from NB, looks beautiful, smells great.. is carbing up right now..

the good thing is i have 3 mason jars of the yeast now.. so I should be set for a while..

i think ill try the one beerific posted next.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
bikegeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer

THANKS!
I had a horrible time with that recipe. My OG was spot-on, but my FG only got to 1.026. It was too dark, too sweet, and not even close to the real thing. I only found out later that the Laaglander extract is widely known for low attenuation.

The recipe given in BYO's clone book is very different than the one online. I gave my copy to my sister, but if I remember correctly, they had substituted Light DME for most of the Laaglander.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
mikee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

subscribed