Outdoor burners? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Outdoor burners?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
tmmann92
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 1


I have been looking for a way to start doing my brewing outdoors and need a good propane burner, does anyone have any recommendations on a good burner that they have had success with? Thanks for the help!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
GenIke
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,189
Liked 154 Times on 118 Posts


I just ordered the SQ14 from home depot for $50 shipped to my door. I've never used it, but its one of the more popular burners for homebrew. The SP10 is the same price and well liked as well, but there was some iffy feedback regarding the regulator so I decided on the SQ14.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
processhead
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 793
Liked 131 Times on 102 Posts


Around here, propane burners are common garage sale items.

I picked up mine for $10-$15 each and they have been working for years.
__________________
How hard can it be?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
BoomerRox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
, California
Posts: 40


I bought the SP-10 and used it for the first time this weekend. The reviewers all recommended burning off the paint for 20-30 minutes before using on the brew. I followed their advice and was glad I did. A lot of fumes, ash and paint flakes flying around that could have landed in the pot. After that I brewed an 8 gallon IPA with a 90 minute boil and it worked great!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
sikkingj
Brewing Fool...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sikkingj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Washington, DC
Posts: 388
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmann92
I have been looking for a way to start doing my brewing outdoors and need a good propane burner, does anyone have any recommendations on a good burner that they have had success with? Thanks for the help!
I've been using a Blackman burner for over two years and it s still like new. I highly recommend them. They are an investment, but will last a lifetime.

-John

brewcephus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
sikkingj
Brewing Fool...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sikkingj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Washington, DC
Posts: 388
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkingj

I've been using a Blackman burner for over two years and it s still like new. I highly recommend them. They are an investment, but will last a lifetime.

-John
Blichman - darn iPad...

3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
govner1
Kept Man!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
govner1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,455
Liked 382 Times on 321 Posts


+++1 on the Blichmann. QUIET& gets 8 gal from 60 to boiling in 20-25 min. Easy to control your boil too.

bmeulebroeck Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 764
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts


SQ14 all the way. inexpensive, fairly efficient

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
BreezyBrew
IPA is my spirit animal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BreezyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
New Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,674
Liked 551 Times on 416 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerRox View Post
I bought the SP-10 and used it for the first time this weekend. The reviewers all recommended burning off the paint for 20-30 minutes before using on the brew. I followed their advice and was glad I did. A lot of fumes, ash and paint flakes flying around that could have landed in the pot. After that I brewed an 8 gallon IPA with a 90 minute boil and it worked great!
I'm still burning ash off of mine after 16+ brew days and its starting to rust.
__________________
- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- Sending brewmaster's kids to college since 2005

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Nomad
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 115
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I have bought two Craigslisted Turkey Fryers to get me outdoors over the past eight years. I gave the first away (no problems), and the second is going strong after a year of monthly use. If you are into lo-tech brewing, I'd say that scheme works fine. The 7 gallon pots that come with them are useful too (especially if you ever want to really fry a Turkey).



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdoor burners IanPC Equipment/Sanitation 7 04-04-2012 03:49 PM
Outdoor Propane Burners... Worth It? eighteez Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 25 08-18-2010 01:02 AM
Outdoor Burners rbrowder Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-07-2009 11:36 PM
Outdoor burners Grid_Iron_Gang Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-16-2009 07:34 PM
Outdoor Turkey Fryer /Burners HomerT Equipment/Sanitation 13 06-09-2006 09:14 PM


Forum Jump