Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding cherry puree...boil or secondary?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
AMKBrew55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Adding cherry puree...boil or secondary?

I want to make a Cherry Wheat brew. I was wondering what the difference is between adding the cherry puree during the boil or in the secondary. How long for each? What would you do?

FYI, I just switched to all grain and I will be pureeing my own cherries. Cheers!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
NightBrewer
Recipes 

I've done a few fruit beers and learned that adding fruit puree from a can into the boil or primary has left very very little fruit flavour in the final product. My LBS suggested adding extract which I did and but I found the flavours harsh. If I was doing a fruit beer again I would focus on a crisp wheat beer or Blond style and then add the fruit to secondary for a week.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 441 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Secondary. One of my last batches was an oatmeal stout with a can of cherry puree, I racked the beer on it in secondary and it came out great. Didn't use a ton - one can, which I think is 3#, for a five-gallon batch, and it just came through at a real nice, subtle level.

For a cherry wheat, where you want a more prominent flavor, absolutely add to the secondary.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
AMKBrew55
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Awesome! Thank you guys very much. Cheers!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I saw another thread where it was advised to cold crash for a while and leave as much yeast as possible behind so the fruit doesn't completely ferment out. Sounds like great advice to me either way secondary for sure.