Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Weizenbock - aging

Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Grinder12000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Weizenbock - aging

Preparing a Weizenbock for a competition - how well does Weizenbock age. My Hefe is always great young but not sure about 8%ABV Weizenbock's.

Opinions? any general comments about brewing one?

Brew NOW before the basement starts to heat up? warmer better? colder better?

Got some book'in to get into I guess!

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer

Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I have a weizenbock I brewed back in October, also around 8%. I use the BCS recipe and fermented in the low 60s with WY3068, per Jamil's suggestion. It was perfect after just 3 weeks in the bottle, and so far it's held up well to aging. I only have one bottle left, but I might drink it tonight. To be honest I don't think aging has improved it that much, though it certainly hasn't hurt it.

Sorry I can't provide a more solid answer! I know how hefes can be past their prime after they're a few months old but this hasn't shown it yet.

If you have a good recipe and can still ferment in the low 60s, you should be fine bottling 3-4 weeks before the competition. I brought mine to a homebrew club meeting after 2 weeks in the bottle and everyone loved it.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 157

OK, last night I drank the last bottle! It had been bottled since early November, so let's say 5 months. It had been a month or two since I'd had one.

It was still very good, but it was noticeably different than when it was fresh. I did swirl the yeast and pour that into the beer. A lot of the banana yeast esters had faded, and there was a much more prominent dark caramel/toffee flavor. I liked it better fresh, my GF liked it better this way.

So... use this information how you will

Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack
OK, last night I drank the last bottle! It had been bottled since early November, so let's say 5 months. It had been a month or two since I'd had one.

It was still very good, but it was noticeably different than when it was fresh. I did swirl the yeast and pour that into the beer. A lot of the banana yeast esters had faded, and there was a much more prominent dark caramel/toffee flavor. I liked it better fresh, my GF liked it better this way.

So... use this information how you will
Thanks Zak. That helps.

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer