Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > countertop Partial Mash

Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
compact007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default countertop Partial Mash

Hey all, I've been reading up on this new mini mash idea called countertop partial mash and was wondering if anyone out there has done this? I have a2 gallon cooler so im going to try it, if you have tried it did you do a full boil?

thanks
compact

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did it and to me it is not worth the hassel. Just move up to all grain full time and you will be much happier, or at least I was.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
NurseNan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've done it, and I like it better than straight extract. It gives me much more flexibility until I can go all grain (which would necessitate having access to larger amounts of grain than I can afford to have shipped.)

Primary
nothing
Secondary
Date Mead, Oatmeal Cookie Braggot, Fox in Sox Gruit
Aging
Hard lemonade, Cyser, Golden Plum Mead
Ginger-Orange Mead,
Agave Mead, Chocolate/Cinnamon Mead, Heather mead,
Bottled/Drinking
Heather Ale, Emerald Honey Kolsch, Hobgoblin clone, Terror of the Ewes Oatmeal Stout,
Kilt liftin' Wee Heavy, Soggy Doggy English Brown Ale, Saaz/Perle Mead, Cinnamon Mead, Shiraz,
Sauvignon Blanc, white merlot, Elderberry Mead, Vanilla Mead

Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have been doing Mini Mashes/Partail Mashes now for about 2 years. No, I do not do a Full Boil. I Batch Sparge enough Wort to equate to what the recipe calls for to use in Water. Example. My Red Ale that I brewed this past Saturday night called for 2.5 Gallons of water to for my Boil. So, I batch soarged enough Wort to make 2.5 Gallons of Wort then I followed the recipe from there adding DME as needed.

Mini Mashes are a great way to check out the All Grain Brewing without haveing to really worry about your Mash Efficiency as most of your Fermentables will be coming from the DME. I am slowly building my AG system now and with the Mini Mash stuff I have, I am almost their.

On Deck Damn Drinkable IPA
Primary Oktoberfest, Simcoe Sevada,
Secondary nope
Bottled nope
Kegged Bee Cave Brewery Kolsch 15, Dunkel
On Tap Dunkel

Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did one partial mash (a.k.a. mini-mash) before deciding that All grain was the way to go.

it the same process, just way more grain. some guys have an insulated pot for a mash tun and direct fire it to heat it up...I find the cooler route with a separate hot liquid tank works well for me.

If you can do a full boil, I'd go all grain. you get such better beer IMO.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 129 Posts

i can't do all-grain due to lack of space, carpeted floors, and the fact that i would probably burn my apt down if i tried to use a burner on my deck.

i do a "pseudo-mash." I basically mash, then pour through a colander and do a half-ass sparge by pouring 170 F water over the grains. my colander will only hold four pounds of grain, so that's all i can mash. i usually end up adding a lot of extract, but i magically get 70-75% efficiency using this method.

every batch i've made using this method has turned out great. of course, most of my extract/steeping grains are pretty good too.

that being said...if i COULD go all-grain, i would and as soon as i have the capability, i WILL!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
compact007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah thats the thing, i currently dont have to the room to go all grain, trust me when i do i will be there in a heart beat. but i want more flexability and was hoping this woud be a good start in that direction. If this workks out then great, i hope i can make some truely awesome beers!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #8
compact007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well i did my partial mash today and everything went of well, Hopefully i will taste of be able to tell a difference in this beer compaired to fll extract brews!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Great! I've had AG capability for years, but I do PM frequently. If I'm really in a rush, I'll do them partial boil as well. I find them much faster and easier than AG. Probably the best way to improve your brew when you're cramped for space, money or time.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk