Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Smoke wood trade? Bradford Pear for?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
hopjedi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smoke wood trade? Bradford Pear for?

Hi all, been getting into smoking using the standard store bought sacks of smoke wood, and have been having good results and lots of fun.
Anyway I have read that the Bradford pear is similar to the fruit bearing variety in terms of smoke flavor, and was hoping to get some additional feedback from someone more experienced on this topic.
I had a Bradford pear tree taken down last July, and am now ready to start processing the limbs and trunk into chunks if it is useable for smoking. Otherwise it is just firewood.
So if this wood is worthwhile for smoking, I would propose trading it for other varieties you may have a supply of. Hickory, apple, cherry, Alder, oak and used Bourbon barrel staves or chunks. I am in Livonia MI so local to metro Detroit. Figure even trade if that works for you. PM me if interested.

BOTTLED - 2 HEARTED ALE CLONE CENTENNIAL
BOTTLED - Melomel-Blackberry 14 months now
BOTTLED - KBS Clone
BOTTLED - VAN BOURB PORTER - TAHITIAN
BOTTLED - VAN BOURB PORTER - PLANIFOLIA
BOTTLED - NUT BROWN
BOTTLED - AMERICAN IPA
BOTTLED - HONEY BROWN
BOTTLED - BELGIAN ALE
NEXT UP - Blonde

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Toga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bradford pear can be used for smoking. I personally do not care for it. Fruit bearing pear is tasty to smoke with. Check with tree trimming and removal companies for your wood. I found one a few minutes from home that always seems to have seasoned hickory, oak, and apple for me for by far less than I can get chunks at the store.