Universal Beer Glass? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Universal Beer Glass?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Acyr90
Recipes 

Jan 2013
, California
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I'm looking to buy only one set of glasses for now (4 pack). What is the most universal shape for just about any beer style? I was thinking something like these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-931972835.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	114174  

Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts

The American pint glass is as universal a glass as I have ever seen, the rest is hype IMO

Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3163 Times on 1871 Posts

If you're just starting out, and want a "universal" glass, then yes the American Pint would probably be the way to go, or even the British Nonic Pints.

If you're drinking ales then that's the way to go....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
blakelyc
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts

I'd go with a Nonic pint glass or a tulip pint, myself. American shaker pints don't do anything positive for aroma. My go-to glass is a nonic pint, but if I am having a more formal tasting session then something with a little bit of a tulip shape is the way to go.

don't let anyone tell you that shape doesn't matter The geometry of a glass has a huge impact on aroma perception and dictates exactly how the liquid hits your tongue.

Planning: RIS
Primary: dark saison holiday beer
Secondary/aging: Fruited lambic, two test American sours
On tap: Dortmunder Export, Cider
Recently Kicked: English mild

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelyc View Post
don't let anyone tell you that shape doesn't matter The geometry of a glass has a huge impact on aroma perception and dictates exactly how the liquid hits your tongue.
I agree totally. I have everything imaginable. And it might not be too surprising for me to dirty 3-4 different glasses in an all day session.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 382 Times on 278 Posts

Classic pint or nonic pint as a starting point, but I agree - different glasses do add to the perception of certain styles.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #7

Personally, if i had to choose just one, I like a squat tulip glass for any style.

My Beer Cellar

dpatrickv Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
bds3
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Omaha, NE
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Standard pint is my go-to. Another universal option--which combines benefits of a number of styles but therefore isn't really perfect for any one style--is the Sam Adams glasses. The logo comes off with a razor blade, although I imagine Star San may work as well.

http://estore.samueladams.com/produc...6-cfd1c3ea3a45

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds3 View Post
Standard pint is my go-to. Another universal option--which combines benefits of a number of styles but therefore isn't really perfect for any one style--is the Sam Adams glasses. The logo comes off with a razor blade, although I imagine Star San may work as well.

http://estore.samueladams.com/produc...6-cfd1c3ea3a45
Yeah, these would be the best "universal" glasses. I us this about 80% of the time.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
scottyg354
Recipes 

May 2011
Hazleton, PA
Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

I'd buy a set of American Pints and a set of Tulips. American Pints are awesome for anything, but the tulips IMHO bring out the best in many big beers (ie: RIS, IIPA, Quads, Tripels).

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy