second addition of yeast? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > second addition of yeast?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
maxwellius
Recipes 

Mar 2012
falcon heights, mn
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been aging an imperial stout for the last eight months. Last week I split it into two 3 gallon carboys, one with some coffee and a shot of bourbon, the other I left alone. I plan on bottling these end of April, but am concerned that they will not carbonate due to the fact that this brew was sitting on a basement floor in Minnesota for the last 8 months... Should I add a packet of yeast to this, what would happen???

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Braintree, Massachusetts
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts

Add 1/4 to 1/2 of package of reactivated dry yeast to the bottling bucket before bottling. Then that yeast will eat the corn sugar I assume you will also be adding at bottling and will carbonate the bottles.

if you added the yeast to the carboys now, I don't think much will happen because the initial yeast most likely ate most of the sugar. If anything, you would get a small secondary fermentation, but it would not carbonate the beer.
Brewed on Pro system - Jane Rae Amber rum aged at Barrel House Z.